UPVC Frame Restoration

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good Evening,

I have recently moved into a 20 year old house with the original windows. It looks like the windows have never been cleaned, with the frames covered in grime. I have used No-nonsense UPVC cleaner and this has worked well to bring up the windows in general, however, they still appear dull and lacking shine. Are there any other products that would work better to bring up the shine of the UPVC? Any restoration products as opposed to cleaners that people recommend? Also, the bottom edge of the external glass beads appear to have ingrained dirt that the no-nonsense stuff wont shift. Does anyone recommend any products that would shift this? Can new beads be obtained separately if needed?

Thanks,

IMG_1834.jpg

Sponsored Links
Are those beads on the outside?

Beads are easy to replace , have a chat with your local window company and see if they can supply them

I use CIF to clean window frames, if the shine has gone not sure it can be restored however maybe someone else knows a way

Unlikely any company will have new beading for externally beaded frames these days , nearly all frames are now internally glazed, also finding the exact extrusion manufacturer could be tricky.

I would try normal soap and water and a bit of elbow grease to get that off if you haven't already , sometimes the ingrained dirt comes off better that way than with a Upvc Cleaner, failing that then a trade Upvc cleaner . sircerebuss66's suggestion of cif is very good too , but make sure you use the white version , as the yellow has been known to stain frames. Once cleaned , clean again with a window cleaner , this removes all the residue from the solvent cleaner or cif . it may bring back the shine

Unlikely any company will have new beading for externally beaded frames these days , nearly all frames are now internally glazed, also finding the exact extrusion manufacturer could be tricky.

I would try normal soap and water and a bit of elbow grease to get that off if you haven't already , sometimes the ingrained dirt comes off better that way than with a Upvc Cleaner, failing that then a trade Upvc cleaner . sircerebuss66's suggestion of cif is very good too , but make sure you use the white version , as the yellow has been known to stain frames. Once cleaned , clean again with a window cleaner , this removes all the residue from the solvent cleaner or cif . it may bring back the shine

That's why I asked if they were externally glazed and not only that it's incredibly easy to break into a house through an externally glazed window!

Sponsored Links
If the externally glazed frame is of good quality then I disagree, if it has either security tape or wedge gasket internally then it is a lot harder to break in than people think. Yes there are a few makes of externally glazed frames that are easy to get in through but thankfully it is not as common as people make out . ( for reference part of my work is replacing sealed units in pvc frames and externally glazed frames, glazed/manufactured correctly ,are in no more of a danger of being broken into then externslly glazed wooden frames )

Try this has brought my 18 year old windows up like new, as well as everything else! Hope this helps.

Attachments

• 16378388-7392-4818-AC1E-6912479A3358.png
    16378388-7392-4818-AC1E-6912479A3358.png
    916.1 KB · Views: 239
  • 55ACAC00-F69C-4671-B0E4-E8C2A3811D10.jpeg
    55ACAC00-F69C-4671-B0E4-E8C2A3811D10.jpeg
    234.8 KB · Views: 234

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back