Upvc sash in existing wooden box frame

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I have a number of existing wooden box sash windows that are near the end of their useful life. I have previously reconditioned them myself with reputty draught excluders etc, buy years of neglect from previous owners meant that this was always going to be a temporary measure.
So, what I would like to do now is replace the working parts of the window with upvc units.
My plan is to remove the staff bead, parting bead, and top and bottom sliding units, leaving the box frame architrave and external wooden detailing in situ. I then hope to simply insert a self contained upvc sliding sash unit into the empty rectangular void.
My question is, is this possible/ sensible?
In my mind it will offer me all the efficiencies of double glazing, while retaining some of the existing character.
Any advice gratefully received!
Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Hi there,

No, this is not possble for many reasons. uPVC is rather linear in the way it is manufactured, it is extruded in set shapes. Other than that wooden sash windows operate by pulleys and upvc sash windows operate by coil springs.

The second reason is that it would look terrible!

The third is that attemping to do this would cost considerably more than fitting full uPVC sash windows. You would be able to retain the character of your property with new bespoke woodgrain upvc windows. Have a look at our website if you want to see the different woodgrain foils available. There should be a link if you go on my profile.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back