UPVC Window Reveals - Damp Patches bottom corner

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hello,

I live in a 1950 semi and recently started decorating the spare bedroom. The plaster was in a fairly bad state so i had the room re-skimmed just before Christmas.

Since doing so, I've noticed damp patches appearing in the bottom concerns of both window reveals when it has been raining heavily - I hadn't noticed this before, however, i strongly suspect its been happening for some time masked by the old wall coverings.

I resealed the window frame (raking out the old sealant first) over the weekend, however, again today the damp patches have returned......

There is no sign of any damp other than in the very bottom corners, to it must be coming in somewhere around the bottom of the frames.

window2.jpg

window1.jpg

Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
I had a similar problem, which after much testing, turned out to be a failure of the black seals around the pane. I could pour some water on the pane and see water coming INTO the frame and then coming out in the corners. I used captain something creeping crack cure to fix it and no problems since. Just because the water shows at the bottom, does not mean the leak is at the bottom. I would spend some time with a water spray and some towels and test it thoroughly.

As mentioned in many posts previously, the most likely cause here is where silicone hasn't been applied to the sill before the window sits on top. Rain drives under the window, hits the lip and makes it way to the ends, if no sealant is in place the rain with penetrate into brick/block.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your reply DHFrames :)

Looking into the gap between the sill and the frame, there doesn't appear to be any sealant that I can see, however, I wasn't entirely sure if this gap should be sealed or not - As this could affect the drainage paths on the frame?

Can I just run a bead of sealant between the window on the sill or does it need to come out and be refitted?

Thanks

Iain

The gap between the window and sill remains, don't seal! This allows the water to drain out from under the window if any gets in to the profile. You need to try and pump silicone into the corners to stop the rain soaking into the brickwork.
I'd hack off the damp plaster and pump sealant in from inside, replaster after, this should solve the issue

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back