Very Old Gas Boiler.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My boiler is an E Type RS60 (series 4) balanced flue gas boiler. It also has a brand name of "Ideal Standard" on the cover. British Gas have told me they will no longer service it as it is obsolete and they cannot get parts for it if it went wrong. BG have quoted £4,650 for fitting a new one. (I live in a 3 bed semi detached house). The boiler quote is for a British/Scotish Gas 532 high efficiency boiler for £1,430.66.

1. So if my old boiler failed, would it be impossible to repair it?
2. Is it impossible to get parts for this old boiler?
3. Is the cost of the new combi boiler BG quoted reasonable?

Sponsored Links
1) Possibly, depends what went wrong. Gas valve maybe ok, but if it leaked it's finished
2) Some would be unavailable, yes
3) BG lovers would say so ;) , others would halve it. You'll need more than just a boiler.

1. If casting failed then yes.

2. Gas valve and t/couple would be avialable but casting and thermostat and other parts more than likely not avialable,

3. Everyones perception of reasonable is different BG are usually a good bit dearer (occasionally they are cheaper or about the same as others) because they have bigger overheads you should be able to get a cheaper price from someone local to you ask friend and family to recommend someone.

This sounds, without seeing the job, a standard old boiler and cylinder out and new combi in. A rough price would be about £2400 ish Plus VAT for a good independent fittind a good boiler.

With BG you are paying a lot for their sales force and so called peace of mind afterwards, which as you will find on here is totally dependant on the luck of the draw as to what BG engineer you get to do the work.

If you got one who posts on here you would certainly be ok.

Also bear in mind that a lot of the time BG sub the work out to local installers.

Sponsored Links
ive got a lot of these round my way. good boiler but getting on a bit and there are very few bits left now. thermocouple and gas valve are about the only bits that go wrong and they are generic. i dont think the stat is avaialble anymore.

i would leave it and see what happens. this assumes you are not a whiner if and when it breaks down on the coldest day in winter. if you cant be doing with a week without heating then i would get shot of it now.

that BG quote does sound a little high even for them but it will depend on your postcode to a certain extent.

if you have an immersion heater, then you could get through a whole summer deciding what to do and getting alternative quotes.

If it failed in winter you could use electric heaters, which are more expensive to run but no big deal. So IMO it would not be an urgent tragedy if the old one failed, you could reasonably keep on using it until the day comes when it is fails.

You could tuck your savings away in the bank until then.

Knock a thousand quid off and you should be nearer the right price.

If you want an engineer to give you a price there are several on here that come recommended in your area, so send me an email and I will pass them on to you.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back