Vintage Black and Decker drill and drill press

Hi All, now I have to apologise because I think I’m using this forum all wrong and I might be replying to a post about how to make custard. So, job and knock thanks for the great reply, I’m thinking orange and white dn720, but the plastic body sounds horrible, so is there an all metal alternative or should I go for an earlier gold one? Maybe.
Some seem have decent chucks and some look like it’s made of plasticine. Wgt52 thanks, I won’t ask to buy, don’t worry
Anyway, these drills seem cheap enough on eBay, certainly cheaper than the stationary engines that I usually look at, the problem is you can’t handle what you’re buying.
Tigercubrider, modern stuff has no soul, no history, and Harry it’s not the shape of the hole that matters, it’s what you do with it that counts
And as for the drill press, I’ll keep it for now. Thanks all

Sponsored Links
Hi All, now I have to apologise because I think I’m using this forum all wrong and I might be replying to a post about how to make custard
Well, Alex, in answer to your question I prefer using Bird's custard powder and cat's milk....

But to get back OT... If you go for an all metal body drill, you'll be looking at a still earlier tool (early 70s at the latest) - I believe that they top out at about, 370 watts maximum power, but can't be certain. There were certainly 2-speed models, but most if not all lacked the impact mechanism. You'll see all gold, gold/silver, gold/dk. brown and lt. grey/blue painted models. You should still be looking for a D720 (or possibly a D520). With such old tools I would recommend replacing the cord as old cords are often perished, and please, please, please only use a metal bodied tool plugged in through an RCD plug - the metal bodies can become live in the event if a failure, so an RCD makes sense. I'll post a few pics of metal bodied B&Ds for you tomorrow

...and Harry it’s not the shape of the hole that matters, it’s what you do with it that counts
Careful, now! (think of it spoken in a Craggy Island lilt... ;))

That’s great, thanks for the info. Gold / dark brown sounds very ‘70’s, a bit like our old avocado bathroom suite. I will re-cable and definitely use an RCD. Thanks for the advice

Sponsored Links
This is an example of the gold/dark brown livery:

Black Decker D520 Gold and Brown 315w.jpg

It's actually a D520, the 2-speed model one down from the D720, so it has 315 watts and (I think) a 5/16in (?) chuck. For some reason these gold/brown D520s come up in seemingly good nick quite often, whereas I can't recall seeing many D720s like this one (350 watts, 1/2in chuck):

Black Decker D720 Gold Brown Drill 350w.jpg

AFAIK the previous model was all gold, like this one (note the lower power at 290 watts of a nominally higher spec model) which has a 3/8in chuck:

Black Decker D720 290w All Gold Drill.jpg

After the gold/brown models (I think) there was a short-lived (?) white/blue all metal model which I haven't seen many of (not to be confused with later light grey metal gearbox/blue plastic body models), then you are into the V-series (gold metal gearbox/white nylon body) and then the light grey metal gearbox/orange plastic body DN520 and DN720s you so dislike

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back