Vokera Excell 80 problem and the new combi rules (1 April)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Would be extremely grateful for any help anyone can give me.

I have had my boiler serviced today and it works fine - both CH and water. However before and continuing after the service the red flue block light intermitently flickers on and off. From time to time the boiler locks out then immediately reignites. I even get situations where its still firing but the main red light is flashing. The boiler is a Vokera Excell 80.

I have had various minor problems with the boiler and have been considering getting a new boiler - probably a Worcester Bosch. As I have just done the kitchen up (I know I should have changed it then) I want to keep the boiler in the same place. However the guy that came to do the service told me the new rules mean I would HAVE to get a condenser boiler after 1 April 2005. This has made me think I need to replace my boiler with a new one before 1 April so I can do a straight gas combi for gas combi.

Few qu:

1. Does the problem with the Vokera sound serious ? I have insurance through powergen and would love them to buy my new boiler !
2. Are these rules right ? Is fitting a condenser a big deal if the boiler is on the opposite side of the kitchen to the waste water (could it tap into the washing machine waste ?
3. If I get a new boiler which Worscester Bosch unit would you recommend for a 2 bed flat ?
4. I am in NW1 in London - does anyone have a good recommended plumber to fit one of these without it costing a fortune. What should it cost ?

All help gratefully received.

Cheers

S

Sponsored Links
redface said:
Would be extremely grateful for any help anyone can give me.

I have had my boiler serviced today and it works fine - both CH and water. However before and continuing after the service the red flue block light intermitently flickers on and off. From time to time the boiler locks out then immediately reignites. I even get situations where its still firing but the main red light is flashing. The boiler is a Vokera Excell 80.

I have had various minor problems with the boiler and have been considering getting a new boiler - probably a Worcester Bosch. As I have just done the kitchen up (I know I should have changed it then) I want to keep the boiler in the same place. However the guy that came to do the service told me the new rules mean I would HAVE to get a condenser boiler after 1 April 2005. This has made me think I need to replace my boiler with a new one before 1 April so I can do a straight gas combi for gas combi.

Few qu:

1. Does the problem with the Vokera sound serious ? I have insurance through powergen and would love them to buy my new boiler !
2. Are these rules right ? Is fitting a condenser a big deal if the boiler is on the opposite side of the kitchen to the waste water (could it tap into the washing machine waste ?
3. If I get a new boiler which Worscester Bosch unit would you recommend for a 2 bed flat ?
4. I am in NW1 in London - does anyone have a good recommended plumber to fit one of these without it costing a fortune. What should it cost ?

All help gratefully received.

Cheers

S
if i where you i would get a ideal icos
and you have untill the 25 of april

get a condencing boiler m8 u will save money ferroli do a good one so do baxi stay away from the b+ q ones

Stick with the Vokera. Good boiler with parts that do not cost the earth.

Would suggest that your boiler has not been serviced but checked for safety. It takes me over two hours to strip the excell and rebuild to original spec. Going by what I come across everyday, excel was the last boiler to be built to last.

Your service provider will not fund a replacement boiler-m you end up paying for it.

It is nice to have a condensing boiler if the load matches the lower operating temperature- ends up money in your pocket UNTIL IT BREAKS DOWN. Now you better have bottomless pockets as everything in the boiler is complex eg modulating fans, computer logic boards, state of the art heat exchangers. Do not think your service provider will have abundance of staff able to play with this singing dancing machine as he will have to be multitasking in mechanics, electromechanics, plumbing, electronics and hydronics.

Plenty people out there who cannot even use a multimeter efficiently. Their idea of faulting is part replacement when the boiler goes t*ts up.

Sponsored Links
This is one my concerns. I have no deisre to get a condensing boiler and the layour of my kitchen means it will a tricky job to fit in the current boiler space. My Vokera may last but if it goes in a year what do I do then. Thats why I am considering a pre April gas combi. Thanks for you advice - all food for thought. How old will a Vokera Excell 80 be ?

Excells were made from 94-98 (dan?).
whoever looks at your boiler, point them in the area of testing continuity through the air pressure switch. Sometimes on the excells the switch operates enough to allow the boiler to fire but keeps the red flue light on/flickering as well. Don't want you to get a "guesser" who'll just start changing parts until it works, inevitably starting with an expensive pcb.

Age would appear to be correct.

I am repairing Turbos which are two generations older (15 years or more) and am still able to get parts. Excell has some like in it yet. Parts are not going to be a problem into the imediate future. Hopefully by then the condensing lemming jumping off the edge will have settled down with a (hopefully) efficient and reliable boiler.

since when has a vokera been a good boiler ? or is it cos they are cheap to fit

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back