VOKERA EXCELL 80SP - CH not going above 50 degrees C (GAS)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
DP - Can you help me? One of your poor dears is not very well!! From reading previous posts i feel that you are rather attached to these little babies!!
I managed to fix one of its querky little problems I had no hot water, so i made the discovery that the arm that pushes the switch for the DHW wasnt quite reaching the fulcrum arm, so i bent it and now it connects like a dream.
Thats as far as my boiler repair techniques go.... Hence the reason for asking you guys for your superior knowledge and advice.

My other problem that i am experiencing is the fact that the CH isn't being heated more than 50 degrees. The burners cut in at 40 degrees and take the temp up to 50 and thats where it cuts out. Back down to 40 again and the burners cut in again to take it to 50, and so on......... The only way i can get the temp up to 80 is if i run the DHW aswell. This gets the radiators very hot and cosy. Also occasionaly there is water in the cupboard where the boiler is. It seems to be leaking from the Central Heating Flow valve, it's a bit of a guess because there may be nothing for a week and then a tiny puddle underneath the flow valve appears, but the valve is never wet to the touch? I found in the manual that you can adjust the range rating potentiometer, but this is already at the max position.
My CH was working fine before i fixed the DHW, so is there anything i may have knocked? All i did was take the black box off covering the DHW switch and the unscrewed the mounting bracket, bent the arm a bit and replaced everything in reversed sequence.

Your help would be very much apreciated.

Sponsored Links
All I can say is you have not fixed anything.

I would suggest a full (as prescribed by Vokera) service to get the boiler functioning correctly

You radiators are heating better because you have maladjusted the switch. Bet the water is not as hot

The DHW temperature is perfect. The only problem that i am having is that the burner is cutting out when the CH temp reaches 50 degrees C, so the rads never get very hot. Any ideas?[/b]

because valve is not travelling fully(reason you bent arm) boiler is shutting down on boiler stat as heat not leaving boiler, service kit reqd.

Sponsored Links
...and a new arm for the boiler, and a new head for the bloke who bent it... :LOL:

Isnt this arm that everyone is going on about for the DHW?

I am having problems with the CH. Isnt that a different thing?

It is clear you do not know implication of maladjustment.

Think for a minute. Why was the arm not reaching the switch. To get hot water you bend the switch arm. Now the switch operates but arm still does not move any more than it did previously.

A combi boiler WILL ONLY heat water OR radiators at any one time. Never both. You now have a situation where full boiler output is no longer dissipated in the hot water heat exchanger as the diverter beam is not at FULL travel because of defect elsewhere. Some of the heat output from the main heat exchanger is now disipated in the radiators. Nett result is the hot water will not be picking up full 35 degrees of heat at rated flowrate.

How did you gas rate the boiler for CH load?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back