wallpapering horizontally

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Heeeeeelp! Just tried applying my first wallpaper ever! I know horizintally is more difficult but a few pointers please:

What is the max length recommended ie. before it becomes too hard to hold in concertina? The width I have to do is only 2.9m so is that usually done in one length?

Presume definitely recommended a 2 man job, 2nd man to hold the collated/gathered paper?

Is there a specific paste that allows repositioning? Mine seems to stick too well and not be moved.

What do you smooth out the paper with, I was using a soft fur pad type tool, had seen a Youtube demo using it. Or is a brush or scraper better? Don't wanna mark it tho.

Thanks for any help.

Sponsored Links
The concertina fold should enable you to do this by yourself. Did you apply a size to the wall prior to papering as this will stop the paste being absorbed too quickly. I use a hanging brush (hamiltion 7 ring) to smooth the paper out but have seen some people use caulk boards for the same purpose. With regards to the length then the only limitation is the roll length!

This is why people employ decorators as some things take time to perfect and paper hanging is one of these. The more experience the better you will become!

Elrobbo fails to mention that a better surface for your paper would be to line it first as this gives a uniform porousity for your top paper, it will allow you a liitle slip, but in any situation you wouldn't want to pull the paper about to much as it can stretch. Zinnser gardz is a better solution to sizing because it seals the wall and does allow slip and it also protects the wall for future stripping and painting/papering. Size needs a far longer drying time and is a poor suggestion unless of course your applying to bare plaster which again my choice would now be gardz.

Couple of tips, ping a chalk line and hang your first piece at eye level (left edge of paper to line) as its the easiest and you'll now have an edge to apply the top and bottom lengths to, just watch you don't end up with a very narrow piece to hang, adjust your measurements accordingly.

Did it guys! And it's perfect... the help of a 2nd pair of hands in the form of my 14 yr old son enabled me to paste it up without concertina - I'm sorry, there's no way concertinering enables it to be a one man job, that's what I did first and the looped folds became hard folds, creased to hell though the fumbling to get the initial bit in place and square.

Job done!

Sponsored Links
Size needs a far longer drying time and is a poor suggestion unless of course your applying to bare plaster which again my choice would now be gardz.

Op says in a previous thread
It's finish paper to a flat, newly plastered wall.

If you don't have Gardz laying about I would just use size as you will have the paste available which will save you money. Same advice if you were to prep for lining as well. I have always used size before lining and finish paper and never had any problems with this method.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back