wanted: a sound proof solution

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hello,

i live on a busy a-road outside my front door and would really love some advice on the best way to dampen the noise. the door currently in place is the original edwardian door with glass pane and there is a pane of glass above it too. it lets in noise, draft and dust.

i would like to achieve the maximum possible noise reduction but make sure that any new exterior door is in keeping with the style of the house i.e. wooden.

do i replace the lot (door and pane) with something bespoke and double glazed that will fit really snugly into the frame. or is secondary glazing inside the hallway a more effective way of blocking the noise? in which case i would keep the original door. or may be some combination of the two, an off-the-shelf front door that i get my builder to fit and some secondary glazing.

hopeful for peace and quiet,

crazyhands

Sponsored Links
Hi Crazyhands

There's a limit as to how much sound insulation you can get from a door, but here's my take on it. - make sure the perimeter seal is good so yes a snug fit really helps, if you have to have glazing go for double glazed. Generally the heavier the door the better it's performance from a noise point of view. If you go for new check out the manufactuers website and try to get a doorset with a minimum sound reduction index of 30dBRw.

Hope this helps a little

Cheers
Steve

Steve Clow MIOA
http://www.URLremoved.co.uk

You were doing well until you sneaked the link in there ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back