WARNING VIRUS/WORM

I remember some time ago during a 'Total Quality Management' course that this guy was saying that you should be able to plan and program a piece of software to have no faults. Even if it contained a million lines of code... How the software guys laughed!!!

Yes, it is theoretically possible, but would require so much time and man effort it would be impractical - which he simply refused to accept!

When you are pushing the boundries of technology and developing new software, there is a considerable amount of trial and error, given the choice of an error free version of DOS or an imperfect WYSIWYG operating system and software that allows me to: surf the web, watch tv, listen to Web radio, create music CD's, play games, plan my finances, check my bank balance, give animated presentations, allow me to video conference to Aunt Mable in NYC, instantly view my digital pictures and last but not least - share opinions with likeminded (or not!) individuals here!!!

Like him and his software or not, he has brought the PC to the masses.

I particularly like the fact that use any piece of MS software and it instantly feels familiar and the fact you can seamlessly paste from a spreadsheet into your presentation. All things that we take for granted.

I think MS Operating Systems will allways be the most vunerable due to the mass target audience for wreaking havoc! If Linux derivatives were as popular, I'm sure that they would be targeted just as much!

Sponsored Links
Well, for bringing the PC to the masses Bill Gates did get a KBE, i.e. a Knight Commander of the Most Excellent Order of the British Empire.

Spawny get.

mildmanneredjanitor said:
I particularly like the fact that use any piece of MS software and it instantly feels familiar !

Yeah, you get that familiar BSOD. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Just kidding. You're pretty much correct in all you say but, I'd also add that MS have a knack of buying, stealing or otherwise obtaining perfectly good stuff and, like Hospital cooks, by the time it comes to table it's buggered.
Microsoft are big on uniformity, just so long as it's their brand of uniformity.

mildmanneredjanitor said:
I remember some time ago during a 'Total Quality Management' course that this guy was saying that you should be able to plan and program a piece of software to have no faults. Even if it contained a million lines of code... How the software guys laughed!!!

Ahh TQM, I remember it well. Wasn't that where Bull sh!te Bingo started?

Sponsored Links
Studders said:
I'd also add that MS have a knack of buying, stealing or otherwise obtaining perfectly good stuff and, like Hospital cooks, by the time it comes to table it's buggered.
Microsoft are big on uniformity, just so long as it's their brand of uniformity.

Well, you are right, but it is unfortunately the problem with big business: a small company or an individual can innovate as they don't have so many processes and structures weighing them down... in fact, small companies have to innovate to stay in business! Which is why there are so many great bits of software out there written by hobbyists and unknown companies. Eventually the big corporations (not just MS, they all do it) will realise "Hey, that is a great idea!" and buy out the company or get their lawyers to figure out if they can just take the ideas for free.

The Windows Media PC is such an idea. Ever since TiVo came out (and probably before, but I had no interest in it before then) there were people building PCs with multiple TV cards, big harddisks and real-time video encoding hardware. In fact, I even played around with it myself until I realised just how pants the video quality of a TV-card passed through a software MPEG encoder looked back in 1999! :LOL:

The public domain will always live on, software is one of the few areas where one person can still make a difference with nothing but passion and free time... Much as I love hot rods I doubt there are many coming out of garages where Ford come along and say "Oh, what a great idea that guy had, let's pay him a million bucks for it and stick it on the next Focus!" :D

Thought Studders would appreciate this little gem :D

Click me

Plenty more to see on that website too, great fun!

Sponsored Links
Back