WASHING MACHINE PUMP PROBLEM?

MEJ

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi - We have an Indesit WIL153 washing machine with a problem. Whichever program we start the machine in, within 10 or 20 seconds it stops with green LEDS 1,3&4 flashing. I have discovered that this is an indication of a 'pump/drainage problem'. I am wondering if it is really this or maybe something else?

The problems started with the m/c blowing its 13A plug fuse when attempting to do the spin at the end of the wash cycle. I checked the motor and gave it a clean and tried the m/c again. It attempted to complete its spin and blew the fuse again. I then checked the pump and surrounding pipework and gave them a clean. The pump moved freely by hand.

Trying the m/c again it didn't blow a fuse but after a short while stopped with the LEDS flashing. Eventually, after restarting the m/c a few times, it appeared to complete its spin but now whatever program we set it to, within a short period the LEDS are flashing and the m/c stops. For example if we set it to a wash program the m/c takes in a little water but within 10 seconds has stopped.

Can this really be a pump problem or I'm wondering if the PCB is faulty? There is water in the m/c from the various attempts to start wash programs and if I set the m/c to the drain cycle it does nothing, except the LEDS flash. If we try a spin cycle the drum moves very sluggishly for 20 seconds or so then stops.

If it is a 'pump/drainage problem' then is it simply a matter of a new pump or could it be more involved?

Any advice or ideas will be very much appreciated.

If I need spares, ex a pump, does anyone know of a good supplier?

Thanks for your help.

Cheers

Martin

Sponsored Links
first check the wires are plugged into pump ,then test pump with a continuity tester on the pump it should bleep if thats ok pcb shot recon boards avilable for about 30 .00 that error code means f11 pump not activated not always the pump.

Hi Rocks, thanks for the reply. Yes the wires were plugged into the pump OK.

Is a continuity tester the same as a multimeter?

I was able to borrow a Draper Multimeter. I'm not experienced with using it but set it so that it beeped when the two metal probes were in contact. I took the plug off the pump and on the pump, touched one terminal with one probe and the other terminal with the other probe. NO beep??? Is this the test that I should be doing?

The two wires that go to the pump are both red? Is one of these +ve and the other -ve? Can I test the pump in another way by taking it out of the m/c? I'm not sure if it is 240V pump but if I supply the correct voltage it should work if it is OK, shouldn't it?

Through these forums I found someone who will test the PCB for £5 and supply a reconditioned one if the original is faulty. I have sent the PCB off for testing. I would like to check the pump out in the meantime.

Thanks for your help.

Martin

test the pump on the back is 2 spade terminals that should bleep when you put meter on it .the 2 red wires should have 240 v coming out of it .if it bleeps on the pump it works , pcb is shot .

Sponsored Links
The PCB board didn't show any faults. I established that the pump wasn't working so replaced it.

I reassembled the washing machine and started a drain cycle, which worked fine. We then put the machine on a wash cycle and it behaved as before. It took in a little water, the drum should then rotate a little but at this point the machine died. It hasn't blown the 13A fuse as there is power in the cable from the socket but there is no power in the washing machine. None of the green LEDS are on, nor is the red power LED.

Nothing is easy is it?

Time for a new m/c I think.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back