Water coming in above back door

m0t

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Wasn't sure which forum to put this in but I have a problem with water coming through above a back door.

All the external doors in our house have a lintel which is packed out with 2-3 layers of tiles which lay horizontally above it. The tiles protrude over the door by about an inch.

With the wind and rain I noticed that water was getting in above the door and on checking the outside noticed that there were some cracks been the layers of tiles. I also noticed that there is no flashing on the tiles (my neighbour has this) and there is render missing from the wall where the tiles poke out.

What is the best (quickest) way to sort this out? Is flashing tape worth a shot for a temporary repair, and can this sort of tape just sit on the wall or does it need to go into the mortar like lead flashing?

Sponsored Links
Rake out above the tiles, insert a lead or similar flashing a nd point it to fill gap...pinenot :)

That would be the ideal longer term solution but I need a quick fix to last until Spring (when we are getting the house rendered and roof reflashed) - theres not really enough time to do a proper flashing job for the next month and the water situation is a bit of a problem.

Sponsored Links
Got a bit panicked today by the news that there is apparently another large storm due on Friday.

I filled the cracks between the rows of tiles with a waterproof masonry filler and then used some flashing tape over the top of that.

Not pretty but hopefully it should work in the short term until we can get it done properly in the spring.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back