Water heater tripping circuit breaker

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello everyone,

Just moved to a new property and I have noticed the following problem.

The property is using a gravity system.
The boiler is connected with a honeywell thermostat to the water cylinder (indirect water heating).

However, it seems that the cylinder have on top an immersion heating element. When I press the switch to turn that on, it trips the circuit breaker. Is this normal?

Attachments

• IMG-4ac0456a844ef38ec97dbf2983cf046a-V.jpg
    IMG-4ac0456a844ef38ec97dbf2983cf046a-V.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 251
Sponsored Links
No.

The immersion requires replacement.

This is your back up if the boiler fails

Thanks Andy for the prompt reply. I thought so.
I do have a multimeter, do you know what I should check just to make sure that the problem is with the immersion?

It’s not not something you can easily check.

Just check the wiring looks ok and not trapped

Sponsored Links
I would guess it is the RCD tripping, to test the RCD needs a special meter, and to test the immersion heater insulation also needs a special meter, if it is the MCB tripping again looking at 16A plus and a standard multi-meter is unlikely to be able to handle that current, you would need a clamp-on meter to measure current, an insulation meter that uses 500 volt to test insulation, and a RCD meter which times as well as putting a load on the RCD to test it.

The fact you ask the question I would say you don't have the skill to safely test the immersion which is likely failed anyway, even renewing the immersion can easy rip the tank, so I would suggest getting some one in to change it who knows what they are doing, and has insurance should it all go wrong.

Many thanks for the advices.

Ericmark it is the RCD (If I understood it correctly) that it is tripping. Power to the house turns off.
With the immersion heater on, you cannot press back to on.

I found the following video, which explains how to replace it in the exactly same cylinder I have.

However, I might not try it and get a plumber to do it per your suggestion.

This is how it looks like. The immersion heater is just for backup right?
I guess no need to replace it immediately and can have it turned off.

Hercal-Coil-Indirect-Immersion-Cylinder-Grundfos-Pump-Diverter.jpg

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back