Water Ingress in door sill

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've recently bought a house that had damp proofing redone. One of the back doors has always felt very stiff as if the wood along the bottom or the doorframe has swollen slightly. It's raining heavily today (I think the first heavy rain since we moved in) and I've noticed some ingress in the bottom corner. The plaster has gotten very dark.

Photo attached. Haven't opened the door to investigate yet, but if anyone has advice on what to look at first it would be appreciated.

Attachments

• 20221218_170129.jpg
    20221218_170129.jpg
    300.7 KB · Views: 46
Sponsored Links
I opened the door to get a look at the seal in the corner.

Attachments

• 20221218_172601.jpg
    20221218_172601.jpg
    331.2 KB · Views: 64
Door threshold trouble.
Looks like you need to fit a door threshold seal strip suitable to keep water out then look again in summer for longer term solution

Door threshold trouble.
Looks like you need to fit a door threshold seal strip suitable to keep water out then look again in summer for longer term solution
So I think the door already has one on the outside. There's a lip at the bottom on the external. Could it simply be damaged underneath?

Sponsored Links
The image isn’t clear enough, but it looks like the water bar is missing from the cill - does the cill have a groove in it?

The image isn’t clear enough, but it looks like the water bar is missing from the cill - does the cill have a groove in it?
Got a better pic of the seal/theshhold. Looks to me like the seal is maybe damaged?

Attachments

• 20221218_201624.jpg
    20221218_201624.jpg
    454.9 KB · Views: 46
I'm about to go away for a week and keen to not leave this lying as it is expected to rain heavily in that time. Failing a proper fix in the next 12 hours what can I do to stem the tide for a short time? Decorator's caulk around the base of the door frame to attempt to seal it? Duct tape? Stuffing somewhere with kitchen paper?

I'm assuming there's some sort of weather seal/strip attached to the underside of the door? Otherwise judging by the most recent pic you posted, the underside hasn't been sealed from the elements at all.

If you have time tomorrow (you say you have 12 hours to fix it?) and the skills you could fit a door threshold bought from somewhere like Screwfix or B&Q. If you don't have time, you could maybe stuff the gap underneath the door (and a couple of inches up either side if there's space) with something like rolled up plastic bags, pushed into the gaps with a screwdriver or something i.e. tightly packed. Then put a folded up towel or two against the bottom of the door.

Won't have time for that unfortunately. Have stuffed a bin bag under the door and put some heavy duty tape over the top of the weather bar in case it is getting in from the top. Will review in the morning.

Attachments

• 20221218_222119.jpg
    20221218_222119.jpg
    472.5 KB · Views: 41
Tape a sheet of plastic on the outside to throw off rain.

It looks as though some of the wood (inside the frame etc) hasn't been treated in any way, maybe just a trick of the camera. If it hasn't been treated, when dry, it would be a good idea to get 2-3 coats of something on it to protect from the elements.

I didn't quite mean to do the plastic like that, however if it's tightly packed underneath it'll do the trick. Also try to ensure none of it is poking outside.

Some duct tape over the outside gaps/joins would help too.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back