Water main pressure

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Today, I had a phone call from a upset lady, saying water coming from her washing machine, flooding the kitchen. Went there, found the valve inside snapped in half at weldseam, it was only 2 years old. Made safe, took machine out of kitchen, help mop kitchen, cuppa tea, nice lady. She also said that she got a letter a few weeks ago from Thame Water and it about them working on local water main. So I check the pressure of water main and it come to 8 bar, think it a bit high, maybe cos she live next to main road with a trunk main buried, thinking as she also has a electric shower, it could blow apart, I offer to install pressure reducer valve to 3 bar, she say it much better as she can't hear hammer pipes anymore and shower is quiet, as it use to be a loud hissing. :)

To any Pro, what your area pressure and is it normal to have 8 bar? :?:

Sponsored Links
my house is about 3.2bar
i had job local to me installing a poracabin for a family members haulage company mains and sewerage and on checking that water mains was 14 bar

Sponsored Links
Are you are plumber, Stardanny?

If so have you been doing it long????

Aye, 10 years.

Most of the time, I fitted bathroom suite, Kitchen installtion, working for a Housing Trust. We have many block of flats.

This is the first I come across 8 bar.

Normally as many pressure test, it varies between 1.2 to 4.5 bar

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back