Water pressure problem in 3 properties.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We own a building which has a house and 2 flats within it. The whole of the water for all 3 properties is supplied via a mains-filled header tank in the loft above the flats. Each property is then supplied separately from this tank. The pressure in the bottom flat and house is reasonable, the house could do with improving, but in the first floor flat, just below the header tank, the pressure is not high enough to run the washing machine properly.

I am wondering what possible solutions there are out there. It has been suggested that we fit a booster pump for the flat, but I am concerned about noise/vibration and maintenance. I have lived in 2 other properties with pumps and have had endless problems with them and would rather avoid them. Is it possible have the properties attached directly to the mains?

Any other ideas would be appreciated

Sponsored Links
It is unusual to have potable water supplied from a loft tank! I hope it complies with water regs, cover and filtered air vent etc.

This is usually only adopted when the mains supply flow rate is very poor.

To reach a decision you would need to investigate the mains supply. The water co might be able to advise!

New pipes from the street to EACH property will be required and that can cost about £2000 perhaps in total.

Tony

Sponsored Links
There are 2 massive tanks and raising them would take some doing but I have no idea if we could use a smaller one, if so I could raise it by a meter or so. How would we work out how large the tank needs to be?

Why would the properties be plumbed like this? aren't they normally directly onto the mains?

Thanks

It is unusual to have potable water supplied from a loft tank! I hope it complies with water regs, cover and filtered air vent etc.

This is usually only adopted when the mains supply flow rate is very poor.

Tony

Combi boilers and showers work best with at least 1 bar dynamic supply pressure!

Normally provided by mains water but can also be provided by a booster pump.

The Stuart Turner one is very good and turns on with just 0.6 li/min flow rate! It is flow rate limited to 12 li/min so can be used to pump the mains supply.

Tony

If the pressure was tested and deemed to be sufficient, is there any reason not to connect directly to the mains then?

Thanks again

If the pressure was tested and deemed to be sufficient, is there any reason not to connect directly to the mains then?

Possibly poor mains flow rate, which may be why the property was plumbed with a supply from a loft tank.

Get hold of a data logger and record the water pressures. It goes down during peak demand. If supplied from one service pipe, riser & meter, the pressure may drop to virtually nothing in the top flats when there's a draw off in those below.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back