Water still in a Drained system???

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a gravity central heating system, need to solder a pipe fitting thats leaking. The fitting is on the pipe that leads from the bottom of the copper cylinder coil. So I locked up the ball cock for the water feed to the boiler and drained the system by undoing drain plugs on the ground floor radiators.
However, there is still water in the pipe from the bottom coil and the down pipe???

Surely if Ive drained the system how can water still be in the pipe all the way upstairs??? Am I missing something?? The Potterton boiler is from the 70s, there is a drain plug by the looks of it, but this is seized solid, hence the draining from the downstairs rad.

Maybe if I turn on the boiler and pumped would that force this water out somewhere???

Help!!

Sponsored Links
You say gravity system but mention a pump, thats a bit confusing.

Are you sure you don't mean an open vented system if there is a three port valve it needs to be locked in the mid position using the small lever on the side.

Sorry, its pump is by the boiler used to push water around the rads, Im guessing. The system does not have any modern fancy pumps whereby you can switch CH on only, or Water heating only. When you put the heating on, the water gets heated too.
My system

Water is in this pipe labelled B

I just need the water to drop below the "B" pipe, so I can solder the Joint, but have heard that if water is present in a pipe you'll never solder!!! thanks

Is it a primatic cylinder?
Do you only have 1 cold water tank?
It's possible that the pipe is the cold feed from the feed and expansion tank and it is blocked.
If you trace the pipe back does it go into the feed and expansion tank?
Would be a good idea to get the tank and pipes lagged aswell.

Sponsored Links
How did you change the cylinder without draining and why post pics of the old one? (As per your post from yesterday)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back