wax painted dressing table - Help needed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I recently bought a shabby chic dressing table from ebay.
looked lovely and got a tiny pot of touch up paint fromthe seller.
She said that it was painted white and then waxed.

The problem is that it marks really easily- I had to transport it upsidedown on the back seat of the car and the seatbelt "holders" have marked it ( it looks like pencil)

so my multiple questions are:

is the wax not set enough to protect it? if so what can i do?

Any effective way of cleaning theh marks off ( without stripping off the wax and repainting)?

I have read alot about chalk paint (2 part paint 1 part plaser of paris) which i think is what was used on the table. it seems to say that you can use this paint on wax ( or that was my understanding as it said paint, wax, paint a second coat and then wax again)
if this is the case could i just repaint it and wax it properly or do i need to strip off the wax?

if so whats the best way to strip off the wax?

thanks in advance and apologies for so many questions.

Sponsored Links
Can you post any pictures?
Are any of the marks on a discrete part of the cupboard to enable you to practise? It may "clean" if you lightly wipe with a cloth moistened with turps.

Can you post any pictures?
Are any of the marks on a discrete part of the cupboard to enable you to practise? It may "clean" if you lightly wipe with a cloth moistened with turps.

the marks are on the top of the dressing table so no not discrete.
I will try cleaning it with turps. we have a touch up pot and it is chalk paint so i may try cleaning touching up and re waxing

any suggestions as to the best wax to use?

thanks

Sounds like a load of bother to me. That's not how you do shabby chic. It is undercoated, top-coated and rubbed back a bit - no wax or other rubbish. The more it gets knocked - the better it looks.

Sponsored Links
It sounds to me that whoever made this piece has covered the paint with a wax to protect the finish although as joe points out with shabby chic marks and scuffs are all part of the look. That said if you want to go ahead with your plan I'd say a clear wax would or should do the trick. Seeing as you brought it off e-bay why not e-mail the vendor to see if they can tell you which wax was used.

Sounds like a load of bother to me. That's not how you do shabby chic. It is undercoated, top-coated and rubbed back a bit - no wax or other rubbish.
That`s sh*te chic :mrgreen:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back