What does X200 do?

Reaction score
Country
Cook Islands
I live in a very hard water area, have an old Potterton Flamingo (no money to replace it). When I moved in 10 years ago, it banged like a hammer, I gave it a clean with a Fernox product (not the flocculating one), flushed well, and put in Fernox inhibitor from a cube-shaped gallon container. This cured the noise but searched for leaks on joints and left a brown toffee deposit when it found one.

Subsequently when I was injured and unable to get into the loft for a couple of years, I had an un-noticed long term dripping ball valve in the F&E, which presumably washed all the Fernox out, followed by a black blockage in the F&E tee. This was cut out and syst powerflushed at great expense. Refilled using Sentinel X100. The boiler seemed to be clonking again so I added X200. I think it helped a bit but after a year it seems to be clonking again/still (I might just be more conscious of it because heating running as it's cold). I have added another bottle of X200 (the syst holds 20 galls of water).

I am generally pleased with the syst, it makes no gas, does not use perceptible water from the F&E, no sediment when I drained a rad and the sample water is yellowish and slightly cloudy (you can read a newspaper through a jar of it though).

I have looked up Sentinel X200 on here and on the Dearborn site, I am following the instructions but don't see how it works. Does it dissolve the scale and let it circulate in the water? How come you can leave it in permanently? Would it help to drain, flush and refill with fresh fluids?

BTW I have a water softener now, the soft water has cleaned away all the old scale from my kettle, taps and cisterns, so I think it's great.

Sponsored Links
Whatever you do don't put softened water in your heating. Chlorides.
I believe one of X200's functions is to raise the boiling point of the water so you get less noise. Try asking Betz!

ChrisR said:

Too late! what do you think it will do?

ChrisR said:
I believe one of X200's functions is to raise the boiling point of the water so you get less noise. Try asking Betz!

Did that, they sent me the datasheet which tells you it silences the boiler, and how to apply it.

Too late! what do you think it will do?
Rapidly dissolve your radiators and pipes. Flush with lots of plain water and over dose with inhibitor. Or else.

Try asking Betz!

Did that, they sent me the datasheet
No I mean talk to someone. Make like you're intelligent!

Sponsored Links
ChrisR said:

For info, did you mean Sodium Chloride left over from insufficient rinsing of the resin, or did you mean Calcium Chloride resulting from unwanted ionic exchange?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back