What kind of lock for garden gate

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've recently moved into a house which has a very old and damaged garden gate that needs replacing. My previous places I've lived haven't had a garden gate so not entirely sure what's doable for security of the gate. Ideally, I want something that needs a key to unlock from the outside.
I was thinking about something like this: https://www.toolstation.com/yale-deadlocking-nightlatch/p47149

This would allow me to open it from the inside without a key and still open it from the outside (using a key). Not very high security but will stop curious naughty kids.

Thoughts?

Sponsored Links
Why would you want to be able to lock/unlock from the outside just go through your back door to open it. No need for a lock just a bolt.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Stainless-Lockable-Locking-Yard,Garden-Supplied/dp/B08RRFRMVX/ref=asc_df_B08RRFRMVX/?tag=googshopuk-21&linkCode=df0&hvadid=480201609553&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=4614230338012108363&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=m&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9044986&hvtargid=pla-1124479459631&psc=1

Easy to fit, the latch you mention will not accommodate shrinkage and expansion of external timber gate .Available keyed one side only .

Last edited:
@noobiediyer

The FB4 rimlatch is very simple and reliable. It is used on doors the the Fire Brigade may need to open in an emergency, or for access to water.

Not very secure because it has a standard key, but your local urchins are unlikely to have one.

The one in my link I think has a cast alloy case (some brands are pressed steel and will rust)

If you see the Union one at a good price, buy it. It is a simplified version of the 5D lock they make for substations and switchrooms, and very good. It is usually expensive.

Also available are FB2 and FB1 locks, which are deadlocks, operated only with a key from either side. Mortice versions are more common.

Last edited:
Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links
Why would you want to be able to lock/unlock from the outside just go through your back door to open it. No need for a lock just a bolt.

I have a back gate. It is set into a tall wall and I sometimes go through it for tree pruning or access. It saves me quite a long walk. It does not open into the same road as the front of the house. So if I go out that way I want to keep it locked to prevent anyone gaining entry.

Because my cycle is in the garden outhouse. I want to be able to leave via the garden gate securing it while I do. And upon my return I'd like to be able to unlock the garden gate. There's a number of other scenarios when people might want to do this too.

Because my cycle is in the garden outhouse. I want to be able to leave via the garden gate securing it while I do. And upon my return I'd like to be able to unlock the garden gate. There's a number of other scenarios when people might want to do this too.
Like me.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back