What regulations?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
See my poor diagram.

My house (black box) has a porch (yellow box), and the internal garage (green box) has a door to it from the porch.

I'd like a door from inside the garage to a lean to shed (orange box) on the outside so I could easily access the shed and the garden from the garage. I've indicated the position of the proposed door as the blue box.

I asked the local authority and they said it didn't need planning permission and I'd need to get building regs approval.

What regulations do I need to adhere to? It will be a smaller than normal door as the lean to shed is about 6foot high (they said that would be OK). What about steps up/down, door and frame material, anything else?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Why bother applying for building regs?
Just do it and avoid paying the wages of those jobsworths at the council.

I just don't want to run into trouble when/if i come to sell. The previous owners here had done various alterations and didn't get regs sign off and i made them get it done before i'd buy and i don't want to be in that situation myself. I just like to do things by the book.

Thanks

OK.
There would be no need for a fire door between the shed and the garage;
A step or steps do not come under Building regs as long as the difference in level is not more than 600mm;
Width/height of door doesn't matter;

You might need a beam over the door to support whatever is above. This makes it structural, at which point building regs come into play. Do you really want to pay some council bod £xxx to spend 60 seconds looking at it and to get a piece of paper to say it's OK?
If you sell the house, who's to know it wasn't done thirty years ago?
It's not like it's a big extension or conversion.

Sponsored Links
Thanks again. It's useful to know it doesn't need to be a fire door and there isn't a step issue.

I don't want to pay a council bod £100 but i do want to do things by the book unfortunately. It will need a concrete lintel (two in fact as it's a cavity wall).

Thanks again, that has been very helpful.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back