What replacement for floorboards

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have a 1920's house with a floor that is having to be replaced due to historic rot.

It's a suspended floor, and the underfloor ventilation had been blocked by plant growth and a conservatory. The conservatory has been removed and the ventilation problems resolved, but some of the joists and the floorboards need replacing.

The builder i'm using has asked what floorboards i want to use. He's suggested Caberdek, but due to the age of the house, i'm inclined to replace the old floorboards with new tongue and groove but i'm interested in the general view of Caberdek as a floor versus traditional tongue and groove or other options.

We will be also insulating between the joists as part of the work.

Comments and opinions welcomed.

Sponsored Links
If you're having a carpet or an engineered floor then caber wouldn't seem inappropriate. Personally I would avoid chipboard on the ground floor especially with an older property, as it's only moisture "resistant". Better to have feature floorboards, and would help if/when selling.

Caber is quicker and therefore cheaper for the builder I imagine.

Blup

The builder is a friend and hasn’t priced yet, so he’ll fit whatever I specify. Good point about moisture!

Why suggest not tongue and groove?

Sponsored Links
Not a fan of it as over time it can move and rub together so it squeaks. If having T&G make sure every joint is glued with pva

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back