Whats the technique to fit internal upvc beading?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Whats the easiest way/technique to fit the internal beading of a upvc window?

Any links to youtube etc. would be appreciated!

Thanks
Am

Sponsored Links
No U tube links I’m afraid but fit one of the longest sides last & start in the corners & work towards the centre; a good bash with a rubber mallet or a hammer & block of wood may also be required! Small windows can be a pain but you can put a “nick” the back of the beading to help it bend but if you overdo it, it will kink!

Hope it's okay to bump this rather than start a new thread.

I've got the same problem. It's a new small window - 2' wide by 4' high and I'm bashing the beading as hard as I dare with a pretty hefty mallet, but it's not going home. Hit it any harder and i'm worried that a little lack of control may end up with a smashed pane!

With no glazing in place it does clip home ok, but needs to be angled back a long way to clip in, which obviously it won't do with the glass there.

Any additional tips anyone. Any tips as to best angle to hit the beading?

It's pretty urgent!

Put the beading tight up tp the glass, then you need to hit them straight down with the mallet. Keep the mallet against the glass when you hit the beading.

John..

Sponsored Links
Thanks John

I've been striking at an angle, so I'll try straight down.

Just to add a note for anyone who finds this thread in the future.

Beading installed succesfully. I used a wooden mallet and placed it against the window before striking a block up against the beading. ie striking at 90 degrees to the glass.

I did have to strike the beading VERY hard.
The top opener is quite small and I really had to bend the beading very strenuously to get the last bit in.

Just to add a note for anyone who finds this thread in the future.
Beading installed succesfully. I used a wooden mallet and placed it against the window before striking a block up against the beading. ie striking at 90 degrees to the glass.
I did have to strike the beading VERY hard.
The top opener is quite small and I really had to bend the beading very strenuously to get the last bit in.
fit the longest sides last & start in the corners & work towards the centre; a good bash with a rubber mallet or a hammer & block of wood may also be required
The hammer & block of wood is more effective ;)

I had the same same problem with bevelled beading but managed to fit them as follows - start with the shortest lengths, get a start at one end of the bead by sliding and pushing, once it starts to engage tap the end of the bead to get tight in the corner then work away from the corner tapping with a mallet and block of wood as previously mentioned

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back