Where can I get a support frame like this for bifold doors

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This was asked in another section of the forum but I would be interested to know too.

//www.diynot.com/forums/trade-...me-like-this-for-bifold-doors.395844/#3054531

I was trying to quote a conservatory recently with 2 sets of bi folds meeting on a corner (with the smallest corner profile possible) my conservatory supplier would only do bi folds upto 2.2m wide with a 500mm baring on either side and that was with a heavy duty eaves beam.

Sponsored Links
Just noticed the thread I linked to has gone now.

This was the pic the guy posted and what he was looking for

217000_216169_74296_25178632_zps0829098c.jpg

Have been doing a bit of Googling and they seem to be called "Goal-post portal frames" but seem to be very expensive and time consuming to get prices on from my experience.

Ultraframe do a "Super Duty Eaves Beam allows opening spans of up to 3600mm" and have a good page here:

http://www.ultraframe-conservatorie...aution-on-bi-folding-doors-in-conservatories/

Does anyone else know of any off the shelf solutions?

Think you are going to have to bite the bullet, we had a goal post madE from 70 x 70 section was about £250

Sponsored Links
Thats quite reasonable. Was it for a conservatory? And who specified it?

Im interested in anything like this really but the main reason is for the conservatory I was trying to quote recently (2 bifolds meeting on a corner).

I sent some sketch's to my conservatory supplier and they then talked to a Portal frame supplier and 4 weeks later they came back to say it would be unstable and couldn't be done.

Its mainly the waiting 4 weeks for an answer that's the problem. My conservatory guys are normally excellent and get back to me the same day with prices and CAD drawings.

Ah goal posts, i remember going to a job down in Norfolk, a blown dgu in a conny, they'd had some internal goal posts made up with 100mm x 100mm box section to support an ultralite 500 roof as it had the full 6 metre projection and only about 3.5 metres wide

It was for our bi fold display and made into the shape of a m so 2 bi folds side by side. As it was made from 70. X 70 it would be no different than uPVC window. Eaves beam should sit on it nicely, may just need to insulate it

I'm supprized there doesn't seem to be any company's about that specialize in these for bi folding doors.
The frames would be fairly easy to make/transport I imagine, It would be the structural calculations that would be a bit trickier.

I suppose you would only need 5mm or so of movement in any direction before the doors would have problems opening.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back