Where to put a shower in a bath

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

Help!!!!!

Just ripped out an old bathroom and the plumber has installed the new bath with the taps against one wall and the brand new mixer shower in the opposite wall, i.e. away from the plug hole (only discovered this last night on a site visit).

I have never seen this before but the plumber says this is normal! I am worried about 3 main things:

1. the slope of the bath where your back rests will now be at the end where you stand to shower; isn\\\'t this a bit dangerous and won\\\'t it make reaching the shower controls tricky for my son - who is under 10!!

2. this means that the glass shower screen will be at the end where you are getting in the bath - opposite the taps - won\\\'t this make entering and exiting the bath more than a little tricky?

3. won\\\'t the fact that you are not standing over the plug hole when you shower mean that there could be some additional standing water and make the bath a little slippy?

I have got to ring the plumber before lunchtime and \\\'discuss\\\' what he has done before he gets any further and before the tiles starts.

Help!

Sponsored Links
Given that your son is 10, his arms are going to get longer in the coming years but, if I were you, given the stage you are at (i.e. not tiled) I would tell the plumber that even if this is normal (which it isn't, IMO) you still want your shower at the plughole end.

johnny_t said:
Given that your son is 10, his arms are going to get longer in the coming years but, if I were you, given the stage you are at (i.e. not tiled) I would tell the plumber that even if this is normal (which it isn't, IMO) you still want your shower at the plughole end.

Thank you most sincerely for your help, sorry that I posted it in the wrong thread I'm having a very bad day. :rolleyes: :eek:

I have, since reading your post which confirmed my thoughts, spoken to the plumber who mumbled a lot and said the would 'see what he could do'... so here's hoping ;)

Sponsored Links
My bathroom is set up like this and has been this way since the flat was built. Not the first bathroom I've had this way. When I get it refitted, should I ask for it the other way?!

Hinged panel doors ... Used in two houses .. found to be very good, fold nicely away against the hanging wall.

4.jpg

This example here around £245 or so, probably find cheaper, watch the quality tho'

In both houses shower was at opposite end of bath from taps .. No problems, controls were easily reached ..

The handset, tho' properly prevented from entering water in a filled bath, has no mettalic lumps to be damaged against when the kids drop it, plus when they fall they don't damage the taps with their heads etc.
Maybe swings and roundabouts, regards safety?? :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back