Which cable?!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to add another socket to the main ring. I've got a few floorboards up, but there's 6 * 2.5mm2 cables. 2 are for down and upstairs lighting circuits, 1 is the main ring, and the other 3 are other circuits. Whats the best way of finding out which one of these wires is the main ring, without ripping up all of the floorboards in the room to trace the correct cable?

NOTE for DIYnot admin: I tried to create a new username "bengee" but is said my name needed to be between 3-25 chars, which it is.

Sponsored Links
You need a 'volt stick'. This is a detector about the size of a pen which lights up when placed close to a live cable. You don't need to actually touch the copper conductors to get an indication. You can buy them from RS (www.rswww.com) stock number 214-467 £18 plus VAT or from any electrical wholesaler, probably for a bit less. Then just switch off everthing at the consumer unit except the ring main you are interested in, and see which cables are live. Best of luck.

Sponsored Links
Bengee -

Sounds like an interesting idea suggested to solve your problem, just curious, how did it work in practice?

Todd

Worked very well. I just pulled all of the fuses out at the main box (yes still got the original that was fitted in the 50's!), except for the main ring fuse. Went through all of the wires with the volt-stick, and it picked up the 2 wires that i needed. Worked like a dream, no dickin' around! If you need the volt-stick, goto CEF they've got it on special offer at the mo for £10+VAT (although that might just be my local store).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back