Which paint for a bathroom ceiling?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Quick question.

Got a bathroom that's often used and has a lot of condensation. We've got a problem with persistent mould on the ceiling.

What's a good anti-fungal paint to use? Is it worth mixing in a bit of extra anti-fungicide?

Cheers! ;)

Sponsored Links
Ronseal do an anti mould paint exactly for that - it has a biocide to stop mould growth.

Also make sure you clean the area with a good mould/ mildew killer before hand to kill any fungal spores already hiding.

Paints about a tenner for 1L though. but good stuff. :D

Good advice but in the end there is no substitute for adequate ventilation. Instal an industrial strength extractor fan and open the window after every shower.

We have a student rental property where some years the ceiling suffers badly from mould and other year's it's fine. The difference is in the behaviour of the tenants.

You can get special 'mould-tec' bathroom paints (lots of makes) but in the end it will recur if the steam is allowed to hang around. I have considered covering the ceiling with PVC cladding which solves the problem (spores don't grow on it) but it shouldn't be necessary!

Sponsored Links
If you do upgrade the extractor consider one with a humidistat built in.

Companies such as Airflow allow you to add features such as a humidistat or pir to circumnavigate people not turning the extractor on.

It does bump up the price but might be worth it in the long run.

https://www.airflow.com/cms/cms.jsp?menu_id=1426&category=all&description=icon&x=0&y=0

After replacing my boiler my the existing extractor fan was no longer up to scratch so I replaced it with a larger Airflow Icon 30.

Whilst it has made a big difference I do wish I had gone for the increased airflow of the Icon 60

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back