Which roller sleeve do I use?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Fellow DIYer's

Following on from my earlier question..........I am looking for advise on a roller sleeve for a really professional finish.

I shall be using the roller for painting matt emulsion on to freshly plastered walls and ceiling. Both the ceiling and walls are very smooth

Please can someone advise on what roller sleeve and material and length of pile to use?

Money is no object on this roller sleeve so please comment freely!!

Your comments would be appreciated!!

Need Help 21

Sponsored Links
Hello need help :D

I would suggest a medium pile roller sleeve, go to your local DIY store, and you will see what looks like a tiger stripe sleeve, they are very good for the DIYer.

But the trick to getting a flatter finish on flat walls, as well as using a medium or even short pile sleeve is to thin your coats down.

Even if means you doing an extra thinnish coat, its the paint as well as the sleeve that will give you the perfect flat finnish.

If you paint the paint on too thick, you might have a thick gloopy orange peel effect, but by watering down the paint, and using a flatter pile sleeve, you will definately get a flatter finish. :D

Spice,

Thanks for your help, I was certainly unaware of the suggestion to thin paint.

The paint I intend using is Dulux Kitchen paint (which seems to get mixed reviews as it can be V thick).

I don't really mind applying lots of coats, but typically, how much do I thin the paint down by as a percentage and do I thin each coat?

Spice,

Thanks for your help, I was certainly unaware of the suggestion to thin paint.

The paint I intend using is Dulux Kitchen paint (which seems to get mixed reviews as it can be V thick).

I don't really mind applying lots of coats, but typically, how much do I thin the paint down by as a percentage and do I thin each coat?

O dear.....

Forget that stuff mate and using acrylic eggshell...which is more or less the same thing but easier to apply.

Dulux, by carefully naming the paint like that have led people to beleive its 'the' only paint you can use..

It isnt, and IMO is the last paint I would use.

But if you do want to use it use a short pile sleeve, a medium or long will increase the risk of getting runs and sags (a common feature of the paint

Sponsored Links
On a rare visit to the decorating forum, can I just second what me owd china zampa has just said - leave that kitchen and bathroom paint on the shelf.

Gents,

Cheers for your help to date. As a bit of background info. the reason I have to use the kitchen paint is purely political.

My missus (sweet as she is) seems to insist on doing everything that has been recommended by her mum (whatever the advice from others) and in her defence her mum recently used the paint with good results.

In the event that I were to use the Acylic, simply put I would be hearing about it for the last year.

So thanks for your advice, but I sadly am forced to use the kitchen paint.

To wrap up, I shall take the advice and use a short hair roller, should I still thin the paint as per Spice's recommendation if so by how much? or should I use straight out of the tin if it has a tendency to run?

Thin it a bit at a time until it becomes nice and workable.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back