Which screws to use for loft boarding?

the chances are you wont need access but it will save you a fortune when an electrician is fault finding and needs to know where to look lol

Hehe I'm being an idiot now asking that question, I see your point. I will just rest boards over them and mark the boards with red tape or something. That now solves the problem of whether to use the battens I guess.. I can go ahead and just avoid the red board areas..

Sponsored Links
That dusty grey pipe is electrical conduit. The round things with screw on covers are for inspection and drawing in. It looks like a nicely done installation but has not been common on domestic installations for many years as it is expensive to do due to skilled labour and time required. I would be wondering how old the cable inside is. You might have rubber insulation which is likely to be perished and crumbly if anyone touches it.

It would be an idea to have the electrical installation inspected. Maybe some of it is obsolete and dead.

Generally you should not bury cables or conduits in insulation as this causes them to overheat due to lack of air circulation. Lighting circuits are OK because they are very lightly loaded and run cool in ordinary domestic properties (but not necessarily in large houses; commercial installations; or if you have lots of silly downlighters and spotlights or chandeliers).

I have created a lot of unnecessary work for myself as I bought 2400mm x 600mm sheets, I underestimated how heavy and impractical they would to handle and get into the loft.. nearly killed me taking 10 of them up 2 flights of stairs ;)

Tried getting one into the loft, it fits the hatch just about but there's nowhere enough roof height to get one up. doh.:rolleyes: So looks like I have a lot of sawing to do. Good job I bought a new work bench and have an electric saw..

That dusty grey pipe is electrical conduit. The round things with screw on covers are for inspection and drawing in. It looks like a nicely done installation but has not been common on domestic installations for many years as it is expensive to do due to skilled labour and time required. I would be wondering how old the cable inside is. You might have rubber insulation which is likely to be perished and crumbly if anyone touches it.

It would be an idea to have the electrical installation inspected. Maybe some of it is obsolete and dead.

Generally you should not bury cables or conduits in insulation as this causes them to overheat due to lack of air circulation. Lighting circuits are OK because they are very lightly loaded and run cool in ordinary domestic properties (but not necessarily in large houses; commercial installations; or if you have lots of silly downlighters and spotlights or chandeliers).

Thanks for that John, I will bear it in mind. The building dates to around late 70's I think..

Sponsored Links
if you are sure it is late 70's the cable will be PVC not rubber, so likely to be in fair condition, but it's time it was inspected and possibly updated.

However if it is late 70's there should not be any old black rubber cables so find out which it is.

Is it worth me treating the timber battens with something against moisture since they're going in the loft? If so, what would you recommend, some ordinary vanish or some proper wood treatment?

definitely not varnish

I use Cuprinol Green against rot and worm (do not get it on cables). clean all surfaces first. the hidden and inaccessible parts need the treatment most.

and sometimes a fence stain which leaves a waxy water repellent film and is very cheap and easy to apply.

but your loft should be dry, cold and well ventilated. If not, fix it so it is.

definitely not varnish

I use Cuprinol Green against rot and worm (do not get it on cables). clean all surfaces first. the hidden and inaccessible parts need the treatment most.

and sometimes a fence stain which leaves a waxy water repellent film and is very cheap and easy to apply.

but your loft should be dry, cold and well ventilated. If not, fix it so it is.

Thanks John. Yes, the loft is airy and well ventilated..I don't plan on changing that as I've heard it's essential else you get all kinds of problems with condensation and increase the risk of mold and water damage..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back