Will laquer stop outdoor colour fading?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Im tempted to buy some self adhesive vinyl brick roll and add it to some surfaces in the garden for a brick effect. The roll itself is either vinyl or pvc I think.

I tried some a sample outdoor last summer and after maybe a month, it had lost all colour and gone greyscale.

If I painted it with clear matt lacquer, would it stop the colour fading? Or do I specifically need some uv anti fading protection coating?

Also, how long does coating typically last, like 2,5,10 years if outdoor?

This caught my eye, but doesn't say about stopping colour fading, or longevity:

Sponsored Links
There is a clear coat you can apply to plastic car headlights to stop sun making them yellow. That's all I know about UV coatings.

My plastic sign writing on van bonnet only lasted a few years as pointing to sun. The sides lasted 10+ years

I am not aware of any clear coating that effectively blocks the UV light from penetrating below the surface.

Exterior coatings are designed to absorb the energy from UV light- they basically distribute the energy across the coating.

Years ago a customer asked me to sand back their cedar decking- it had turned silver. Every coating manufacturer that I contacted warned me that a clear coating will result in the finish going sliver again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back