window sill large crack

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I was cleaning some ugly made caulk around the window sill and I found behind a large crack. The previous owner told me that there was a leak in the gutter in the past that caused the damage. This is nicely fixed from the outside by a professional but he just patched it by himself inside.

how shall I fill this gap?
- shall I made some creamy plastering and pour it in the gap, then use wood filler for the top layer?
- shall i use expanding foam in the gap and then use wood filler for the top layer?
any other ideas?

Attachments

• window sill 1.jpg
    window sill 1.jpg
    196.6 KB · Views: 184
  • window sill 2.jpg
    window sill 2.jpg
    210.1 KB · Views: 188
Sponsored Links
I'd be tempted to remove those cill boards completely to inspect the state of the frame behind them.
If the frames are good and sound then fit new cill boards that are a good fit.

svouts, good evening.

Looks as if the original sills have been hacked off? and the sill in place now is a retro-fit, and with all due respect, not a good fit at that [sorry to be frank about it]

The hacked off edge could be difficult to match with?

Ken.

Sponsored Links
It is a long 4 meters sill so I would rather not remove it. I was thinking to first pour some plaster in the gap so as to fill in any cracks under the sill. Then to fill the crack with would epoxy filler. What do you think?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back