Windows Home Server

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am just wonderingif anyone uses windows home server, if so what do you think of it, heard mix reviews about it.

Cheers
Russ

Sponsored Links
I have used it. Can't really comment on whether or not it'd suit you unless you let me know what you want to do with it.

I personally did not like it for a few reasons:

1. Wasn't an email server - I wanted to host my own mail server. It's perfectly straight forward to do this on WHS but it's not a built in feature.

2. Can't share a NAS drive. I have all my files/music etc on a NAS drive on my network. I want to keep it that way, however I wanted to be able to share this as well, via WHS. Couldn't be done.

3. To get the most out of it, you need to (if I remember correctly) set up user accounts and then use those instead of the ones currently set up. I didn't really try this as the first 2 points made me stop.

Hope that helps somewhat.

Totally depends what you want to do with it to be honest, I tried using it and it didn't work out for me.

In the end for fileseving duties (connected to 3 different media players) I ended up going with Freenas, which is a linux based (free) operating system that is relatively easy to configure and use via the web-interface.

The bonus is that it will run on any old computer you have, just fill it full of drives and away you go !!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back