Wireless Internet Hubs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
[Apologies if this is not in the right section - Admin, can you please place me elsewhere if this is the case]

I have just signed up to Virgin Media on a 10mb Broadband package, which I am yet to have installed, but am happy with.

My question is:
Is the router that comes with it any good?

And if not, what would be my best option with regards to buying my own?

Current usage = XBOX Live/PS3 network, Occasional iPAD/Netbook usage & some downloading, although mainly YouTube & iTunes

I believe 10mb is enough, but I don't want to be interupted whilst slaying people on my beloved CallofDuty or losing my natural cat-like-reflexes whilst educating my peers on Fifa12...

Thanks for your help, in advance, guys&girls...

Sponsored Links
Wireless isn't the best way to preserve the broadband speed you're paying for when connecting to a games console.

No matter how fast the promised wireless speed, wireless routers rarely achieve much more than 20%-40% of their quoted speed on a consistent basis. They're also prone to drop out from interference. That's not much of a problem if you're surfing the web or sending a few emails, but it's a P.I.T.A. if you're trying to stream a TV feed or storming a bunker in an online game.

If you have the option to run a bit of network cable then you'll notice your gaming experience runs much smoother. Alternatively, go for Home Plugs which use the house mains sockets to send internet around your home.

i take it they will be supplying the SUPERHUB to you.??

i would wait and give it a try, any problems or help with questions can be found somewhere here
http://community.virginmedia.com/

You can turn the SUPERHUB into Modem only mode and attatch another router like the Dir 615, which apparently has better wireless range :)

Thanks for the heads up.

I'm awaiting them to come and install everything, and in the meantime have networked my entire house in CAT6 cable!

I've ran a feed to every room from where I will be having the Virgin enter the property.

and I'm looking at manual routers... is this correct?

Sponsored Links
Normally the way we would do it is to use a Network Switch. This takes all the network cables from your rooms and acts as a junction so that the various devices can talk to each other. Add a connection from the VM Router to the Switch and now you have internet access everywhere too.

Switches come on two types: unmanaged and managed. For simplicity you want unmanaged.

They come in various sizes depending on how many sockets you need.

Finally there's the speed. Fast Ethernet (10/100) or Gigabit (10/100/1000). A 24 port Gigabit unmanaged switch can be had for less than £150. Smaller switches are less.

depending on how many rooms you need connecting together, my VMhub has 4 gigabit ports on the back, so acts as a switch anyway, if needed you can connect one of these ports to another switch to multiply the connections.

I have the original VMhub, and the wireless seems to be less reliable than my old sky router, the wifes laptop and my phone keep dropping off, despite me being on a differing channel to other wireless APs in the vicinity.

I'm on VM 10mg with there netgear router
And get better connection speeds when wireless ie 9.5mg down and 1 up but go wired the upload stays the same but down drops to about 2.3mg

How odd. :confused: The speed of the Up/Down service from the Internet Service Provider should be completely independent of the speed of the home network connected behind the router.

My service speed doesn't change whether I hook up Gigabit devices or just Fast Ethernet gear, and I haven't seen a change in any of my customer's connection speeds either as I have migrated them to Gigabit either.

To avoid confusion with other units of measurement, Mega bits per second (data throughput speed) is normally written "Mb/s" and has nothing to do with "mb" (millibits) or "mg" milligrammes.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back