Wiring to a shed or separate garage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
When installing a new installation to a garage i am bothered by how the earthing arrangements are.
I was led to believe that the earth in a separated garage has to be from a separate source ie using an earth rod .
and not to use the earth from the main house, if the garage was earthed from both the house and using a earth rod , would that increase earth potential in case of any faults that might occur. :)

Regards Dragon of Hemel

Sponsored Links
looking for a decent carp water around the area.havent found anything with a decent strain can you help me out.i hate them pig ugly simmos!

Sponsored Links
When installing a new installation to a garage i am bothered by how the earthing arrangements are.
I was led to believe that the earth in a separated garage has to be from a separate source ie using an earth rod .
and not to use the earth from the main house, if the garage was earthed from both the house and using a earth rod , would that increase earth potential in case of any faults that might occur. :)

Regards Dragon of Hemel

Unless the original installation's Ze is sky high you'd be surprised how low the Ze of the additional installation comes in at.

For the DIYers

just lob some cable in...it'll be ok

:D

Sorry been a long week!!!!

what do i use to measure the Ze

use your tester set to measure earth fault loop impedance (EFLI)

when you measure EFLI of the original impedance you'll get a feel if adding the extra cable etc is going to send it over the limits for the MCB. When you retest the new installation you'll be testing the resistance of everything you've added

(i'm sure some kind soul will spend time explaining the theory behind EFLI but its late and i've had one of "those" weeks)

Zs is fine mate but it includes your bonding which will artificially drag the scores down

Thats why you test Ze as well

right i'm off to bed...talking about work at 12.30 is just nonsense!!!!

[/quote]

Riverside club at northwood (secret fishing)[/quote]

a bit of guesting?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back