Worcester Greenstar 30Cdi classic regular - not igniting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,

We have Worcester Bosch Greenstar 30Cdi Classic Regular - in the last few days it has been a bit temperamental (CH not on when it should be, but then later working to schedule)

Today, since ~11am, it is not coming on at all, not even for hot water. The green ignition light is off.

First thought was the Tado smart controller (been installed and working fine for ~3 years) had got confused, so restarted it etc. No joy. Boiler not igniting, no hot water.

Power cycling everything including the boiler did not help either.

So I have replaced the Tado with the old Danfoss controller and set to both CH and DHW "on all day". Still no joy. Boiler not igniting, no hot water.

I've tried the Chimney Sweep button on the boiler. Only thing that happens is flashing "Three bars" and temp on the 7-deg display. other than that nothing happens. (no clicking noises; no boiler ignition; no hot water).
1701622825624.png

Throughout this there have been no error codes displayed on the boiler

Current plan is to call a professional in the morning, but I'm expecting the recent cold snap to have filled up the service/repair books so wondering if you guys have any tip/suggestions for me to look at in the mean time?

Dan

Sponsored Links
Is it a combi boiler or a heat only/system boiler?

Sponsored Links
It is a regular system (not a combi).

----

New information this evening. after the last of the DHW from the tank i noticed that the boiler did start up...

So I started fiddling with the diverter valve. turning the DHW of and on at the controller I saw that the valve would open half way.

But the same didn't happen with the CH.

I manually pushed the valve open (with the little lever) and now CH is warning up nicely.

So perhaps the diverter is borked. It's a Danfoss HSA3 and the forums are not exactly singing its praises.

So my current guess:
- earlier today the valve got stuck closed.
- because there was no water flowing the boiler didn't ignite
- this evening value managed to open to DHW/tank stat said "need hot water please" - so boiler lit and filled up tank.
- but diverter didn't open CH so rads stay cold.
- manually pushing open got water flowing to CH.

Does this sound plausible?

(thanks for your help so far)

Send a picture of the "diverter" valve, it sounds more like a mid position valve. It's fairly common for them to fail and it's nearly always failing to move to the CH position.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back