Working with fiberglass

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We will soon be adding fiber glass to our liquid casting polyurethane to stengthen some products we are making.

What are the safety precautions?
Ive done a little research but as always the more you read on google the more worried you become. Ive read fiberglass is the new asbestos, so this obviously worries me.

We have an extraction unit, will casting under thid be sufficient and also wearing nitrile gloves to avoid skin contact?

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
I'd suggest that the minimum would be nitrile or vinyl gloves to protect the hands and goggles. A breathing mask will also be needed so that you avoid inhaling the fibres. A lab coat or disposable poly apron would also be useful to protect your clothing against spills.

You'll also need to get hold of the COSHH sheet(s) for the resin components as the hardeners in particular can contain compounds which are an irritant if inhaled - the COSHH sheet(s) will give you a clear indication if you need to have a better quality mask (e.g. P2 filters, active carbon, etc) than the cheapo paper types. Most manufacturers post their COSHH sheets on the 'net these days and having them in printed form is a legal obligation for any employer. If you are wearing a cartridge-type mask for any length of time in a work environment you must be faced fitted for the mask

I believe that the resins used are flamable and you may need to store them in a similar manner to paints and solvents, i.e. in a lockable bunded metal cabinet. The COSHH sheet(s) should cover this

Hi

Thank you.

Im pretty clued up on the PU as i worked with it a lot. So thats ok.

Its more the fiberglass im concerned about.

So far as I'm aware the fibres themselves are not (unlike asbestos) proven to be carcenogenic (providing you discount tests on lab rats), but being a non-organic, non-soluable material you don't want to get any of them trapped in your lungs. I personally doubt that they are the "next asbestos", despite some doom and gloom mongers out there.

A couple of members of my family worked at Fibreglass in St.Helens for many years and are unaware of anyone suffering health problems due to handling the stuff although it has to be said that they were always sticklers for full coveralls, masks, visors, gloves, etc when in the production area.

In point of fact the chemicals used during the fabrication or lay-up process (such as MEKP used as a catalyst for the resin or acetones used for cleaning tools) are probably a far greater danger (MEKP can blind you if it goes in your eyes; acetones attack and degrade the central nervous system), but then I'm sure you knew that already

I sometime have to do Tool Box Talks as part of my job and you might find this talk of interest

Sponsored Links
They may not be the 'next asbestos', but they are a fairly nasty, persistent skin and lung irritant.

Avoid contact with skin and, even with extraction, a simple valved mask is advisible, simply to avoid the discomfort should you inhale fibres.

As JobAndKnock says, some of the chemicals which may be involved are substantially nastier, and may require proper masks to be worn for more than brief exposure.

Hello

Thats fine. I already use a half mask with particle filter. Im sure it actually does carbon etc too (as previously mentioned).

Im hoping with extraction, mask, gloves, goggles and white zip up overalls ill be ok. Just dont want to find out in 30 years ive got an industrial disease

Im hoping with extraction, mask, gloves, goggles and white zip up overalls ill be ok. Just dont want to find out in 30 years ive got an industrial disease

You'll be absolutely fine. It's not Ebolaglass. ;)

Lol!

Im from an office background you see. Not long been in a manufacturing role. Sometimes too much research is actually counter productive!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back