Would ply insulate a screed floor from concrete subfloor?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

We recently had a water leak under our kitchen floor which is made of concrete. We had to dig the floor up, fix the leak, and concrete the hole again. We are about to have a screed put down, followed by vinyl sheet.

Would we get a benefit from putting ply sheet down first, before the screed, to insulate the floor from the concrete slab?

If yes, what thickness wood?

Is it worth the effort?

Thanks all for any advice, Simon

Sponsored Links
1st thing you need to do is check the floor is dry. If any damp is in the screed from the leak the vinyl will bubble.

Thanks Dazlight,

Its all bone dry as the leak was elsewhere in the end!

Simon

No, dont lay ply. Why the screed? Why not simply use a SLC?

There are a number of unknowns in your brief description of the slab - why not use the search facility to read up on concrete floors?

Sponsored Links
Sorry, I meant to say I was laying a latex SLC, not screed.

The concrete slab is about 40 years old, about 300mm deep with polythene membrane under slab.

I'm trying to make the final vinyl :LOL: feel warmer underfoot! I am told I would need to screw the ply down every 20cm square, so a lot of work involved!

Thx

A good way to go and you won't have to use a smoothing compound screed is

Jumpax, look it up on YouTube.

Great for keeping your vinyl warm on the feet.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back