Yale HSA 6400

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all.

I need some advice regarding siting the control unit.

I intended siting the control unit near the front door for ease of entry/exit.
I now understand that the Yale system can be foiled simply by busting the control unit during the entry timer period. To get round this I also purchased the remote fob unit so I could mount this by the door and have the control unit upstairs. The remote unit however does not appear to be able to withstand daily use before the cover falls off. Any advice would be much appreciated

Demonskier

Sponsored Links
I've had this

If you mean the round plastic lid on the remote keypad, it serves no purpose whatsoever, so I threw it away when it broke off.

The remote keypad (that you put a PIN into) is not the same as the keyfob, where you just press a button.

I would just like to add to your previous comments about your worries that someone would simply trash your control panel.

The Yale panel is very robust in fact I have experience of a control panel smashed with a pair of mole grips , ripped from the bracket and stomped on by burglars to the extent the footprint was left on the panel and the lcd screen was smashed.

This did not prevent the alarm activating.

Firstly there is a tamper switch where it fits on the bracket and this would activate the alarm instantly.

The unit is also of good guality manufacture and it would take a determined thief with a big hammer to smash the panel. As mentioned stomping on it failed to defeat the system.

What you must also remember is that the external siren once activated will continue to sound for a minumum of four minutes even if the panel is completely destroyed. Once the signal to start the siren has been sent they won't stop until they have either sounded their default timing or a signal telling them to stop comes from the panel.

The panel also prevents access by trying different codes as a third wrong code locks out the panel for a minute.

In the case of the stomped on panel when I went to replace it the panel was still in working order however because the screen was smashed it was unusable in terms of using menus etc but you could still actually set and unset the alarm using the appropriate buttons.

I understand your worries but the panel takes a bit more abuse than you realise.

If the panel is counting down I presume you have set the delay as low as possible. I recommend 20 seconds maximum where I can.

Remember once taken from the wall it activates immediately anyway so someone only has but a few seconds to try to destroy it where it sits. Since these days most walls are plasterboard stooth walling bashing it would simply push the plasterboard through and the unit would be virtually unscathed.

IMO the panel is best out of sight and out of reach, preferably concealed upstairs.

However difficult or easy it is to smash a plastic box, it is very easy to pull out the phone cable.

When you have a remote keypad the panel does not need to be quickly accessible.

Sponsored Links
Thanks all.
I'm encouraged that the control panel is robust but I will probably play safe and have the panel upstairs and use the little remote unit for daily use. It's a shame that the system is not more re-active to abuse. It would be faily simple to design it such that the alarm goes off if the wireless signal disappeared. Anyway, we are where we are.
Thanks for your help, and reassurance.

The panel reports faults with loss of wireless signals by stating which sensor is affected on the panel lcd dislay. Battery low conditions are also reported in this way. The siren will activate if attempts are made to jam the signal.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back