Yorkshire women jailed for half-million £ fraud

Reaction score
Country
Cook Islands
Two carers have been jailed for defrauding an elderly woman with Parkinson's disease out of £500,000.

Wendy Bell and Amanda Carroll were sentenced with four others at Bradford Crown Court for the fraud against 92-year-old widow Audrey Hammond.

The pair overcharged Mrs Hammond for her home care.

Bell, 57, from Cullingworth, was jailed for three years and six months. Carroll, 44, of Shipley, was sentenced to three years and five months.

Bell's daughter, Lisa Bell, 30, Linda Mynott, 60, and Alice Barker, 59, all received suspended jail sentences.

_80998736_carers-624.jpg

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leeds-31462883

Sponsored Links
Obviously it pays to be a woman.
If this terrible, cowardly crime had been committed by men the sentences would have been double.

I'm not trying to give these people a ready-made excuse, but if care-workers were paid anything other than the miserable pittance that they do get, they might just not have been tempted to do the crime...

I'm not trying to give these people a ready-made excuse, but if care-workers were paid anything other than the miserable pittance that they do get, they might just not have been tempted to do the crime...

Dangerous ground there - "poor are more likely to be thieves" :eek:

I might give it a smidge of credence, if they'd nicked a bit to feed and clothe themselves. But half-a-mill is not a crime of necessity.

Sponsored Links
Always remember almost 98% of elderly abuse (and that can take many forms) happens in their own home and is more than likely committed by family members or people known to the victim.

Back