Zanussi washer-dryer turns off mid-program

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Following a house move, including a short time with my belongings in storage I've now got a problem with my Zanussi ZWD1680W washer-dryer. It is less than two years old.

It initially seems fine, but mid-program (often at the end of a section) it just stops and the whole display goes completely blank as if power is lost. It is however not a break in the power supply because if it recovers on its own then it returns to the beginning of the program in a paused state (where as if I simulate a loss of power by switching off and on again at the socket it always continues/restarts the program automatically).

Am I safe to assume that this problem would be solved by replacing the main PCB control board? Or is there some other mechanism (potentially at fault) that would result in the whole machine stopping and the display going blank? The problem does not seem to be related to any mechanical jolt or vibration (I have tried hitting and shaking the machine and poking all the electical joints with the lid off in order (unsuccessfully) to produce the failure on demand) and therefore does not seem to be the result of a loose electrical contact.

It sometimes recovers on its own, sometimes in seconds, sometimes in minutes. Other times I have to switch the knob to off and wait a few minutes before the display comes to life again if switched to a program selection. Quite ramdom.

No error messages are ever displayed.

I took the main PCB out last night and sprayed it with electrical contact cleaner, but of course it made no difference. I am happy to purchase a new PCB and put it in, but need to be confident that that will solve it.

Please help.

Cheers,
Saul.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back