Aside for techies only: neon s'driver technicalities

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This will only of be of interest to (some) techies. In another thread (( here )...

For what it is worth a neon in total darkness requires a much higher voltage to strike. Photons ( from the light ) reduce the voltage needed for the neon gas to ionise and start conducting. I haven't investigated but I wonder if the neons in screwdrivers would strike at 230 volts in a very dark room.
I may be wrong, but I must say that I was under the impression that the AC striking voltage for a typical neon glow tube never rose to appreciably above 100V, even in total darkness. I haven't been able to find any data sheets which are very helpful about this - most seem to quote only the maximum striking voltage 'under light conditions' (no details!) of around 65V for AC.

I may try some experiments - do you have any idea how long it takes for the effects of photoionisation to go away (i.e. how long I have to leave it in the dark before doing the tests)? I suspect that the ionisation is probably very short-lived, so that the ions disappear very quickly after removal from light, but I'm not sure.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back