Earthing regs for IT server racks

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Afternoon all,
Got a minor problem with some works kit - got a fairly major jolt from a server rack at work yesterday (my arm's still aching over 24 hours later :( ) And it turns out the server rack itself has not been earthed - the rack was installed in 2003, so it's got an earthing point in the rack, but because there wasn't an earthing point anywhere in the room, there's a nice coil of 6mm earth cable attached to the rack with nothing for it to connect to to provide a path to ground (until I touched the rack, and I became the path... Bah!
Anyway.... What's the current (or retrospective??) regs on IT server racks etc not being earthed? Have my employers been naughty in overlooking this and not upgrading the room in the past 15 years?

Just curious as I've opened a can of worms at work, plus I'm feeling grumpy and looking to cause bother :evil:

Sponsored Links
Server racks need to be supplied and earthed in accordance with BS-7671 with special attention being paid to section 607 which deals with computer equipment known to have high earth leakage currents.

The sockets, either 13am or 16amp need to be wired to form a high integrity circuit with dual earth paths and the rack needs to be connected to this high integrity earth. There are different requirements for racks depending on the kit they house and some transmission kit requires seperate earths which are independant of the power supply earths.

I think you should put it in the accident book. You may be separately asked to fill in some kind of near-miss or accident report, but putting it in the official accident book will be a good way to stop it being brushed under the carpet by the compicated HSE procedures.

The next person in the server room might have a weak heart, or a pacemaker.

numpty with a crowbar said:
Afternoon all,
Got a minor problem with some works kit - got a fairly major jolt from a server rack at work yesterday (my arm's still aching over 24 hours later :( )

Hi,

Get yourself checked out by your GP or the hospital. Electric shocks can cause internal burning and damage. The damage is not always immediately apparent. Damage can include damage to the tissues, heart, nervous system and other essential organs. This is why first-aid protocols say that anyone who gets a shock should be checked out regardless of how minor it is deemed to be at the time. Pain after 24hrs indiciates a potential problem. Don't under-estimate this. It is not unheard of for someone to suffer a heart attack over 24hrs after a shock that was caused by the shock itself. I do not mean to worry you unduly, all is likely to be fine but as a first-aider this is what we were told by our instructor.

Also, check to see if electric shocks have to be directly reported to the HSE. You have a resposibility to do this if you have to, over and above what any manager says. Also, an accident report should definitely be filed and the rack should be powered down and isolated until the problem is fixed. I know what hassle this can cause as I too work in an environment where we have racks of equipment but you personally have a responsibilty to ensure this happens otherwise you can be personally liable as the law says we are all responislbe for health and safetly.

All of the equipment in the rack should also be tested for electrical safety.

Simon

Sponsored Links
cheers for all the replies folks - I've loged it in the accident book, and have kicked off to all and sundry - my arm is stil aching 36 hours after the incident so if it'still like this tomorrow I may well pay a visit to the quacks for a check-over... If I make it through the night :eek:)

Initial kick offs have indicated that the rack body should have been earthed - I await the response to the incident investigation with interest

Is it your right arm that feels funny, or the other one?

Pains and numbness radiating down the left arm are even more worrying, but you never know...

JohnD said:
Pains and numbness radiating down the left arm are even more worrying, but you never know...

Ahh yes - My Dad's got a heart problem and remember him mentioning it way back when... Something to do with it being an indicator of heart trouble???

Phwew!! Started getting woried then.... :eek: So shocked I'm going to go for a nice cold can of carlsberg to calm down ;)

Hi numpty with a crowbar
Hope you are ok. let us know if the carlsberg did the trick! Don't let them get away with it.
Regards, Hairyjon

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back