£312 + VAT for 8 hours electrical work?

I am reminded of the very old joke about a man with a dent in his car who takes it to the bodyshop to have it knocked out. The job is done and the man receives a bill for £50, which he thinks is exorbitant. So he writes to the bodyshop asking for a breakdown of the costs.

Back comes the reply:

Hitting dent with hammer - £1
Knowing where to hit dent - £49.
Would that be a shrinking hammer ;)

Sponsored Links
Electrician has put some spotlights up for me, installed an extractor fan, installed shaving socket, and moved a plug socket. Stupidly didn't get quote before he started. Took him 8 hours, he's charged me £312 + VAT. All he supplied was shaver socket and the wiring.

Shaver socket - Let's be generous and say £15 (probably more though)
Wiring - How much wiring? Let's put a figure in of £10 (again, probably more than that though)

So now we're at £287+VAT. When you say he installed an extractor fan, I presume he made a hole in the wall for you? Let's presume he used a diamond core drilling bit. They're not cheap. How far away does he live? How far did the plug socket need moving?

On face value it looks a bit excessive, break it down and it looks very reasonable.

Two n a half pages of berating the rights and wrongs of this. OP asked the silly question and never returned.

Sparks charged a reasonable price. Customer got the work done, no real mention of any grief so we must assume job went well. None of us know what the property was like - nor the customer, although i think we have sussed that bit now). Job could have been a right mare so £312 would be a bargain.

If any joiners amongst you thought price was too high, i've some work needs doing, give me a shout, seems i'm gonna save some money.

Sponsored Links
If that sparky , who seems to think 270 + odd quid a day is reasonable went into a shop and got charged 30 quid for a pint of milk I think he would moan about it also, but it would be well justified.
The shop has to run a van , buy insurance , blah blah blah we have heard it all before and running a van and buying insurance costs 300 quid a day. :rolleyes:

If that sparky , who seems to think 270 + odd quid a day is reasonable went into a shop and got charged 30 quid for a pint of milk I think he would moan about it also, but it would be well justified.
The shop has to run a van , buy insurance , blah blah blah we have heard it all before and running a van and buying insurance costs 300 quid a day. :rolleyes:

to be fair its a mobile workshop rather than just transportation

you are paying for the whole package including years off training and qualifications and continuing courses to keep updated along with the connected costs time wise and money wise

to be fair its a mobile workshop rather than just transportation

you are paying for the whole package including years off training and qualifications and continuing courses to keep updated along with the connected costs time wise and money wise

As I have just said in another thread.
When will people realise this?

ooh look, another of your stupid posts.
£270 is charity rates.

For me, I never ever start any work without the client being given a quote or an [accurate] estimation of likely charges.

Sorry thought the remark "accurate estimation" was :LOL: :LOL:

My rates also had to cover when I didn't have any work, right or wrong I still had the same bills coming in each month.
I had had customers that absolutely loved me and sent me Christmas cards and then there were the few that accused me of trying to rip them off :( . Was self employed 20 years and only ever managed to keep my head above water, some months were good, some were bad so guess it evened out.
I had this old lady ring me up while I was on the beach with my family [Sunday] begging me to come fix her toilet as she had company coming Monday, I told her I'd come out and take a look that night when I get home. After a while the missus said "you want to go, don't you" I said well it's a job and her pleading was playing on my mind, we packed up and went home.
I loaded up my tools and set off round this ladies house stripped the toilet down telling her I had to get another syphon for it but couldn't get it till Monday, I was working on a job Monday but I'd pick it up lunchtime and come round and fit Monday night which I did.
When finished she asked how much she owed me, I said just give us £50 all in thinking I was doing her a favour. I've never forgotten how she flew into one telling me I was ripping her off and was a con merchant, she chucked the money at me and I was shown out :confused:

Funny six months later one of her neighbours phoned me wanting me to do some work for them, she'd only gone and recommended me to her friends.

I didn't bother going round.

Do all tradesmen have work every single day then? I didn't advertise but relied on recommendation's, word of mouth etc. I'd think myself lucky if I'd got 3 days work out of 5.

After 20 years self employed on the tools I can honestly say I was better off before with the company I worked for [building commercial catering equipment], I was on a bloody good rate, 5 weeks paid holiday, sick pay, overtime paid on holiday pay if you regularly did it, overalls and power tools supplied.
Never realised how good I had it :oops: :LOL:

For me, I never ever start any work without the client being given a quote or an [accurate] estimation of likely charges.

Sorry thought the remark "accurate estimation" was :LOL: :LOL:

My rates also had to cover when I didn't have any work, right or wrong I still had the same bills coming in each month.
I had had customers that absolutely loved me and sent me Christmas cards and then there were the few that accused me of trying to rip them off :( . Was self employed 20 years and only ever managed to keep my head above water, some months were good, some were bad so guess it evened out.
I had this old lady ring me up while I was on the beach with my family [Sunday] begging me to come fix her toilet as she had company coming Monday, I told her I'd come out and take a look that night when I get home. After a while the missus said "you want to go, don't you" I said well it's a job and her pleading was playing on my mind, we packed up and went home.
I loaded up my tools and set off round this ladies house stripped the toilet down telling her I had to get another syphon for it but couldn't get it till Monday, I was working on a job Monday but I'd pick it up lunchtime and come round and fit Monday night which I did.
When finished she asked how much she owed me, I said just give us £50 all in thinking I was doing her a favour. I've never forgotten how she flew into one telling me I was ripping her off and was a con merchant, she chucked the money at me and I was shown out :confused:

Funny six months later one of her neighbours phoned me wanting me to do some work for them, she'd only gone and recommended me to her friends.

I didn't bother going round.

Do all tradesmen have work every single day then? I didn't advertise but relied on recommendation's, word of mouth etc. I'd think myself lucky if I'd got 3 days work out of 5.

After 20 years self employed on the tools I can honestly say I was better off before with the company I worked for [building commercial catering equipment], I was on a bloody good rate, 5 weeks paid holiday, sick pay, overtime paid on holiday pay if you regularly did it, overalls and power tools supplied.
Never realised how good I had it :oops: :LOL:

I would have written her a letter explaining how you sacrificed your day and how it threw your monday out and all the ins and outs of being self employed.

People just do not understand.

But Id rather they say somthing if they have got a problem with what I have charged. As then I can tell them why it is what it is

Good story

Bod

The bottom line is, never assume anything, never trust anyone, always get a written quote beforhand, 99% of arguments involving tradesman and cutomers are disputes over money, Customers always assume due to the Cr@p TV shows portraying us builders as COWBOYS, this has set in the minds of the general public that they are always going to get robbed. NOT SO, We work as hard as any other walk of life and we have to put up with this all the time. If i go to my dentist. "private dentist i may add" i always ask him "how much". that way there can be no argument when i get the massive bill he presents me everytime i visit. :mrgreen:

Two n a half pages of berating the rights and wrongs of this. OP asked the silly question and never returned.

Sparks charged a reasonable price. Customer got the work done, no real mention of any grief so we must assume job went well. None of us know what the property was like - nor the customer, although i think we have sussed that bit now). Job could have been a right mare so £312 would be a bargain.

If any joiners amongst you thought price was too high, i've some work needs doing, give me a shout, seems i'm gonna save some money.
now that is idiots talk....

shame....

sorry but if your used to not starting a job without submitting written estimates to YOUR customers why did you not ask given that clearly you are used to being in these situations albeit on the otherwise of the fence??

Sponsored Links
Back