1/2" or 3/4" pipes for new CH system?

Sponsored Links
lcgs said:
Sure i was taught way back that the following general rules apply for sizing heating runs: 28mm will take/pass/provide 80.000btu's, 22mm = 40,000btu's and 15mm=20,000btu's.
These figures are laid down somwhere but off hand cant remember where could be a CIBSE book, i think.
Lee

When installing a condensing combi, theoretically the return temperature will be about 56 Degrees to condense properly.

BOLL***OX....BOLL***OX & more huge hairy BOLL**OX, put your textbooks away, go work in the real world & fit at least one, then come back & tell me how you fitted your energy saving condensing boiler to a thirty year old system, checked your flow/return temps, flow rates, gas rates & then tell me how it matched perfectly to what it says on the tin!..

yes i am an installer so answer my question an put your reasons

namsag said:
Simple answer to the question is, No it should not be piped in just 15mm it should be piped mainly in 22mm with say max of 3 rads on 15mm drops/legs

You are talking rubbish, a maximum of 3 radiators fed in 15mm pipe? what about the other 14 how should they be piped? in 22mm? You are not an installer, maybe on this website but nowhere else.

Sponsored Links
All those old books were based on a diff temp of 11° C.

With a typical condensing diff of 20° c the same size pipes can carry up to double the power.

Tony

Agile said:

With a typical condensing diff of 20° c the same size pipes can carry up to double the power.

Tony
Typical Tony, don`t know what the F**ck is going on & spouts mathematics, He is as always right though.

Tell me how you install your boilers to give a return temperature of between 56 & 58 Degrees to ensure the boiler condensates properly?

Bamber gaspipe said:
Agile said:

Tony
Typical Tony, don`t know what the F**ck is going on & spouts mathematics, He is as always right though.

Tell me how you install your boilers to give a return temperature of between 56 & 58 Degrees to ensure the boiler condensates properly?

All those old books never answered this one Tony, How do you achieve the magic return temperature to ensure the boiler works & condenses to maximum efficiency? Water systems gave an answer & called me an idiot (he was wrong).. ;)

Missed one word out should have put on EACH drop/leg so no, the other 14 rads would not be piped in 22mm solely they would be installed in 15mm with majority of pipe to them would be 22mm.. So i take it your one those that uses mainly 15mm to save money. The idea of central heating is to heat a house and the quicker this can be achieved by using the appropriate size pipe and rads the better... And whats up does the wife not let you raise your voice so you have to come onto the net to attempt to be abusive.

namsag said:
Simple answer to the question is, No it should not be piped in just 15mm it should be piped mainly in 22mm with say max of 3 rads on 15mm drops/legs

:oops: :oops:

If I wanted to save money I would drop down to 10mm pipework to feed rads, this would also be quite adequate :oops:

I am not being abusive to you or anyone, if you feel victimised or abused alert Mods & they will give you big sloppy kiss & remove my posts. :rolleyes: Unless it`s Mod 2 who will probably remove my posts anyway:cool: :cool:

spotting you taking the mick is like trying to spot a bacon sarnie at a bar mitzvah chap

:LOL: :LOL:

corgiman said:
spotting you taking the mick is like trying to spot a bacon sarnie at a bar mitzvah chap

Well it sounds funny to me but obviously doesn`t transfer well in the printed word, surely you knew I was extracting the urine Corgi? maybe I should make it more obvious like``I am now about to ridicule someone`s opinion. but don`t take it seriously because I`m only having a laff!!``

corgiman said:

Well it sounds funny to me but obviously doesn`t transfer well in the printed word, surely you knew I was extracting the urine Corgi? maybe I should make it more obvious like``I am now about to ridicule someone`s opinion. but don`t take it seriously because I`m only having a laff``

By the way, how do you achieve the magic return temperature when installing your boilers. I know the answer, so let`s see if you can reply to this one :LOL: :LOL:

Is there an echo in here?...here...here...here...here :D

Thanks for the replies to date, and always good to observe the different opinions!

Would I be right in saying the consensus view for the radiator part of the system is to pipe the full flow/return run in 22mm, wil 15mm tails up to/from the rads? The cylinder side would always be piped in 22mm. I plan on getting installer to fit a condensing system boiler - anything in particular to look out for? I've heard it said that condensing boliers work better with ufh due to lower return temperatures - should it work as efficiently for a standard system where it's flowing out of the boilerat 80C, or would I be better off with a standard boiler (non-condensing)?

Thanks again,

Henrik

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back