13A Electric Oven - Plug in to Kitchen Ring Main

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am planning to update my kitchen in the very near future.

When looking at the New Oven I would like to install, it is rated at 13A. Does this mean that it can have a square pin plug attached and plug it in to a suitably placed socket? Or would it need a seperate supply?

It will be sited on the opposite side of a Galley style kitchen to the Electric Hob. Therefore can not use same supply.

Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
In theory the answer is probably yes.

But it would be good practice to run in a separate supply for it if the kitchen is being re-modelled. This will allow for a future change of oven with a higher rating and therefor not compatible with a ring main.

What do the instructions say? A manufacturer should specify whether a 13A plug is suitable or not.

Generally using a plug and socket for such a load is avoided. You can run a new supply (using, say 6mm cable to allow for a larger oven in the future). Or you can use a spur off the ring main. This spur can be 20A DP switch or 13A fused connection unit.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back