16" fireplace and ventilation regulations

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We are having installed in a couple of weeks an open fire consisting of a 16" fireback and a cast iron grate. I was surprised to see 2 x ventilation bricks on the order when I received it. I was under the impression that fires up to 7 kW did not require additional ventilation.

We would be using the fire to burn mainly logs and only occassionally. The room has double doors to conservatory (single glazed) and 2 addional doors to other rooms.
I find it hard to believe that this size of fire would exceed 7kW and that the two air bricks are required.

Does the 7kW regulation apply in this case or could I ask that the ventilation bricks not be fitted.

Thanks in advance for any help.
Gareth

Sponsored Links
No idea, but have you seriously ruled out installing a safer and many times more efficient woodburning stove?

No idea, but have you seriously ruled out installing a safer and many times more efficient woodburning stove?

Yes we looked long and hard at woodburning stoves, but we decided 1) it wouldn't really suite the character of the room or the size of the opening available and 2) the additional flue would put the price at nearly twice that of the fireplace. If we are only using it infrequently (occassionally at Christmas time) then a fireplace would be a better option.

Tricky decision though.

Gareth

Don't know how the 7kw figure is worked out for an open fire, but I believe stoves need a vent if they are over 5kw.
With a blazing fire sucking all the oxygen out of the room it seems a wise choice.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back