16amp microwave oven

What a staggering amount of replies.

Thanks all.

Sorry for not responding earlier, it's been all go.

Unsure of make and model number at this point - all I know is Ikea, Swedish, and output 1000W. That's all I know.

Are we happy to wire straight to 32amp supply?

Flex already fitted as supplied (no plug), could be 1.25mm2 flex at a guess, don't really know.

Sponsored Links
That would appear to support John's view about diversity when time is the only variable.
In any context, the concept of diversity is, by definition, something that requires a degree of 'guesstimation', and I think that guesstimation sensibly includes consideration of the usual/likely mode of usage of a piece of equipment (including how long it is likely to be used continuously).
However, none of the examples applies to current above 13A flowing through a UK socket, plug and fuse.
That is very true, and I agree that there could be an argument that peak currents (rather than time-averaged ones, as utilised by diversity) may be what matters. Having said that, and as I think I pointed out recently, although 'overloading the plug/socket/fuse' as a result of applying diversity is obviously unique to a situation in which a plug/socket/fuse is involved, application of diversity could, at least in theory, result in current in excess of its In flowing through an MCB or RCBO (or even a 3036 fuse).

Kind Regards, John

Unsure of make and model number at this point - all I know is Ikea, Swedish, and output 1000W. That's all I know.
It is 'just' a microwave (i.e. not a 'combi')? If it is then, for 1kW output, the '16A rating' would be a total joke (and probably means little more than that Europeal circuits are commonly 16A)!
Are we happy to wire straight to 32amp supply? Flex already fitted as supplied (no plug), could be 1.25mm2 flex at a guess, don't really know.
Well, in theory, even 2.5mm² flex would not be adequately protected by a 32A MCB, so it probably ought to be 4mm² if 'wired straight to a 32A supply'.

As above, if it's just a 1kW o/p microwave oven (hence presumably well under 8A), I would personally probably stick with the supplied cable and use a 13A fuse in an FCU or plug/socket to (adequately) protect that cable.

Kind Regards, John

Obviously I need to find out the correct info, but from the vague bits of info I do have says FUSE 16amp, and it's made in Europe.

Hopefully I'll gain some more info tomorrow.

Sponsored Links
Obviously I need to find out the correct info, but from the vague bits of info I do have says FUSE 16amp, and it's made in Europe.
Fair enough, but I think you'll find that European appliances often come with language like that which actually just means that it is intended to be connected directly to a European 16A circuit (i.e. with a 16A MCB in the CU).
Hopefully I'll gain some more info tomorrow.
Great. Let us know what you discover. As has been said, if you can identify the model for us, we may well be able to find out about it for ourselves!

Kind Regards, John

Ikea product names are traditionally a joke. This one means 'aftertaste'.

Fair enough, but I think you'll find that European appliances often come with language like that which actually just means that it is intended to be connected directly to a European 16A circuit (i.e. with a 16A MCB in the CU).
Great. Let us know what you discover. As has been said, if you can identify the model for us, we may well be able to find out about it for ourselves!

Kind Regards, John
Got it now, it's an IKEA EFTERSMAK MICROWAVE OVEN.

Total Rating 2000W, if you want to believe the manual. Apparently well within 13A.

Got it now, it's an IKEA EFTERSMAK MICROWAVE OVEN.
Thanks. That appears to be a lot more than just a microwave and it does, indeed, say 'minimum fuse 16A'. As well as the microwave, it appears to have multiple heating elements inside it, and at least one seems to account for an additional 2kW ...

upload_2019-12-16_22-8-14.png

... IF just that can be on the same time as high levels of the microwave, (which one can adjust in steps from 100W up to 1000W), that could well account for a total of 16A - but I presume that many would feel happy to apply diversity to at least the 'conventional heating' part of the load (which is no different from any other oven). Of course, it depends upon what they mean by 'Grill' - might that be Swedish for 'Microwave'? :)

Kind Regards, John

Total Rating 2000W, if you want to believe the manual.
See what I've just posted - that "Total Rating 2000W" appears on the line below "Grill 1900W", so I'm not convinced that that 'total' includes the microwave part!

There certainly appear to be various heating elements withing the devices's cavity.

Kind Regards, John

Grill 1900 W
Total rating 2000 W
I wonder if "total rating" means what it says?
Indeed - or, alternatively, as I've just written, one might also wonder whether "Grill" also means what it appears to be saying (at least, in English English).

Kind Regards, John

It would be interesting to see a photo of the "rating plate" (part 8. )

page 23 includes power settings up to 1000W, which seem to be Microwave settings.

It is unclear if these numbers correspond to electrical load additional to the "total" or included in it.

There is also an electric light.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back