Appliance Supply

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have just run two 4mm cables , via 45Amp switch one for an oven and one for a combie/microwave oven, both AEG appliances. On the AEG website the oven was rated at 16Amps and the microwave was 15Amp. Adding up the diversity the 32Amp supply was adequate. Now that the goods have arrived the microwave has been pre-wired for a normal 13Amp plug top. I'm now left with a 4mm cable behind the unit housing. Can anyone advise on weather the equipments warranty will be void if i open the back terminals and use the 4mm cable. I know the cable is over rated but the kitchen install is at a stage were extra changes cannot be done.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Put a single unswitched socket outlet on the 4mm cable in an adjacent cupboard... simples :)

If the appliance is built in the manufacturer can stipulate you protect with external overload device. So if you remove 13A fuse (or any other size) in plug you will need to replace it elsewhere i.e. fused connection unit.

This has been a problem with many split level installs where manufacturer states 32A and the installer had intended to run hob and oven off same 45A supply so then has to run in extra cables.

However cable connection units and fused connection units will normally interchange so you should have no problem.

P.S. 4mm Reference Method 100# (above a plasterboard ceiling covered by thermal insulation not exceeding 100 mm in thickness) is only 27A not 32A so I would think you will need 25A max MCB's.

Thanks Adam_151 but i cannot get accsses now that all the kitchen has been built up and i am right next to a stud and dwan (spelling?). I had pre-planned the wiring correct but got false info from AEG with regards to the power rating Do you think taking the 4mm cable into the appliance is ok

cheers

Sponsored Links
cant you fit a single socket behind the microwave. or if space is tight then a 13Amp unswitched spur and wore the flex into the flex outlet ??

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back