Wiring an Appliance direct

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I had pre installed x2 4mm cables from a 45Amp switch for wiring an AEG single oven and an AEG combi/microwave. The information from AEG was not correct. I was told both appliances required 16Amps. The goods have arrived and the microwave has been pre wired for connecting a plug top. What concerns me is that if i open up the microwave and connect the 4mm cable into the back then it will not be protected by a fuse. I know the fuse is for cable protection but would i be breaking safety regs. Both units will be switched by the 45 Amp switch but the only protection will be the 32 Amp breaker at the board. The units go into a tall housing and it would be a disaster to pull the kitchen units apart to rewire. Can the method i'm working too pass the regs?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
You need an FCU for the micro. Cut the plug off the flex and connect this to the load side of the FCU.

When you say a 45A switch do you mean a Circuit Breaker or just a DP switch? If it's just a switch, then what is protecting this circuit at the CU?

If you do mean a breaker, then a 45A device is much too high for protecting 4mm cable...

Don't think what you're describing would be acceptable. Even if it was, the microwave is very unlikely to have suitable connectors in it to accept 4mm cable (or strain relief fittings for it) and when you pull out the microwave to service it you'd be dragging a big hefty 4mm cable around which would probably tear itself out.

I'd suggest finding an FCU or socket that'll take 4mm and surface mount it somewhere behind the unit or in an adjecent unit and runing the flex from the microwave to it. Not ideal but better.

Sigh. Why have you posted this twice? I've just seen your other post, the one that contains the info I've just asked...

Sponsored Links
If you're certain the microwave is designed to be fitted with a 13 amp plug you could possibly fit a single socket on the end of the 4 mm cable.

How many kW is the OTHER oven btw?

You need an FCU for the micro.
No he does'nt he needs a 13A socket, they are specially designed for 13A plugs

then a 45A device is much too high for protecting 4mm cable...

rockdg said "the only protection will be the 32 Amp breaker at the board."

Fair enough, I don't know how I missed that. Alough 32A may still be too high depending on the installation method.....

I would still favour an FCU over a socket outlet for a fixed item like this.

Hi Hibbo

I've posted twice because my question does not appear on the UK Electrics main page. I have been searching within my posts find find the answers. I don't know why this is happening.

Thanks

Thanks for all the replys

The oven is rated at 3.8Kw and the microwave says 3.4 - 3.7 Kw. I've opened that back of the oven and its input is to be hard wired. i'll fit a 13 Amp single socket for the microwave to connect to.

I will fit the oven on 4mm cable and this will be switched via 45Amp cooker switch which runs back to the main breaker rated at the moment at 32A on the fuse board. If i change the Mcb to 16A does this seem acceptable to meet the regs.

Thanks Again and please let me know if you think this is unacceptable

If you're certain the microwave is designed to be fitted with a 13 amp plug you could possibly fit a single socket on the end of the 4 mm cable.

How many kW is the OTHER oven btw?
I would agree with fitting a single socket on the end of the 4mm cable to feed the microwave.

I'd normally agree to fitting a socket for the single oven too however 3.8kW is too much for a 13A plug... do the instructions give any guidance how they would normally expect the oven to be wired in?

3.4 - 3.7 kW for the mw seems a bit too much for a 13 amp plug. 16 amp as you originally thought seems more like it.

Why do you think the flex is prepared for a 13 amp plug to be fitted?
Is it secondhand?

One option may be to fit two separate stand alone 16 amp mcb enclosures within the 4 mm cable runs. And terminate the appliance flexes into separate 20 amp flex outlets.

Hi Sparkwright

The microwave has been delivered pre-wired with white 3 core flex. It looks like 2.5mm to me and the label is like i said 3.4 - 3.7 Kw. I feel this is not suitable for the rating of the appliance. It seems to me that they are providing this cable to connect a plug top to but why?

Hi Sparkwright

The microwave has been delivered pre-wired with white 3 core flex. It looks like 2.5mm to me and the label is like i said 3.4 - 3.7 Kw. I feel this is not suitable for the rating of the appliance. It seems to me that they are providing this cable to connect a plug top to but why?

The flex sounds suitable for the rating of the appliance to me, as long as 16 amp fuse protection is provided.

A lot of european stuff is rated at 16 amp because it suits their wiring over there. Most 3 kW appliances use 1.5 flex, and larger mains wiring.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back