16amp Single Oven

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I recently purchased a built in single oven to replace my broken one, however upon pulling out the old one we discovered it was plugged into a 13amp normal socket.

Now we are unsure whether the new one will be suitable for this, it's rating is 16 amp and runs at 2.2kw.

Can we safely plug this into a bog standard socket and if we can, will it conform to regulations? (we don't have a seperate 30amp ring main for the cooker)

We've recieved alot of conflicting advice so hopefully someone on here can help.

Thanks,

Neil

Sponsored Links
Is it a UK specification oven? 2200W is 10Amps approx which is perfectly OK on a UK 13A plug, and sounds typical for a single oven.

16Amp is an usual load for a UK oven, perhaps they are thinking of an overseas plug of that rating, as other countries generally don't have the 13A plug..

Does it have a grill, and, can you turn on the grill at the same time as the oven? What does the book say is the oven power, and what does it say is the grill power?

When you bought it, did it have a plug on it? What sort?

I bought the oven from Curries so i should imagine it is UK specification.

I've got 16amp from the support line of the oven, the company is Beko and they weren't very helpful, I rang up asking for the amp rating of the oven and that is what i was given.

There is no wiring from the oven at all, I (or someone more competent) will have to fit the wire. The booklet shows how to wire from the oven but says nothing about connection at the other end.

The oven and grill do not operate at the same time, both have ratings of 2.1kw. The oven is fan assisted if that makes any difference?

pedrodeniro said:
The oven and grill do not operate at the same time, both have ratings of 2.1kw. The oven is fan assisted if that makes any difference?

If this is correct, then you can't have a heating load of more tha 2.1 kw - 2100 Watts (the fan is insignificant, maybe that is the odd 100Watts)

2200 watts divided by 230 volts is 9.6 Amps approx. This is perfectly OK on a 13Amp plug.

The person you spoke to at Beko might not have proper product knowledge. Telling you both 2.2 kw and 16 Amps does not make sense. In the UK, single ovens are generally OK on a 13Amp plug, and even if it had been 16Amp, it would be pretty safe - the worst that could happen is that the fuse might blow, and because of the way ovens and fuses work, even this is very unlikely.

Sponsored Links
pedrodeniro said:

Therefor the max load is 2.1kw or 2100w

2100w/230v = 9.13A which is les than 13A, so you can plug it into a socket, however if you are having major work done in the kitchen, it may well be prudent to install a separate 16A radial circuit for it

Hope this helps :)

P.S. I expect the 16A rating is just a recommended fuse rating as opposed to anything else

Adam_151 said:
P.S. I expect the 16A rating is just a recommended fuse rating as opposed to anything else

Of course :idea: I should have thought of that :!: they mean, if you have a dedicated radial instead of a plug!

OK, thanks guys, looks like i might have my oven up and running tonight then.

Can i be sure this conforms to all regulations? (i wouldn't want to void my warranty)

The oven booklet says that it is 2.2kw but didn't have an amp rating, when i rang up i then recieved the 16 amp information.

It is well worth installing a B16 breaker in the consumer board, feeding as min 2.5.sq.mm. cable run, to a 13amp Fuse-Connection unit with DP switch and neon, and then a heatproof flex to the oven (1.5.sq.mm heatproof immersion flex will do), between the 13amp FCU and the oven.

No point in having both a 16A and a 13A device on the same radial.

JohnD said:
No point in having both a 16A and a 13A device on the same radial.

then put it on a 16A radial with a 10A fuse in the plugtop, assuming that would give discrimination.......

If we really cared about discrimination between plug fuses and the next device back we wouldn't be using MCBs in our CUs.

I've seen a B16 go before a 3A plug fuse before (and it was the brigtest lightbulb failure i ever saw too)

If it was just a 16A radial, and a 10A oven, I think a DP switch (or a CCU if it was being wired ready for a big cooker later) would be my preference.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back